New brewer conversions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raife

Reaction score
Hey, new brewer and just started my second beer - pale ale.

Found that my starting gravity was 0.052 and made 4.5 litres. Is there a formula to understand what my final abv % could roughly be?
Really starting to enjoy the process and looking to learn more.

Thanks!

Hey, new brewer and just started my second beer - pale ale.

Found that my starting gravity was 0.052 and made 4.5 litres. Is there a formula to understand what my final abv % could roughly be?
Really starting to enjoy the process and looking to learn more.

Thanks!
Welcome!

Here you are Homebrew Beer Calculators for Brew Day | Brewer's Friend.

You're reading is probably 1.052 and for FG put in 1.010 as a good guess

There's a simple calculation.
OG - FG ( ignore the decimal points) and multiply by 0.131
I got sick of doing this every time so made a chart of the results so I can just look it up now.
Great, appreciate this !

Eventually you'll end up using one of the brewing apps and that will do all the calculations for you.

I'd personally recommend Brewfather but you don't need to worry about that kind of stuff just yet.

Eventually you'll end up using one of the brewing apps and that will do all the calculations for you.

I'd personally recommend Brewfather but you don't need to worry about that kind of stuff just yet.
Appreciate that anyway thanks!

Yeast attenuation is also a factor but usually around 75-80% for a typical yeast like US 05, so you'd be looking at a finish gravity around 1.010 (as above-mentioned)

Latest posts

Back