New Klarstein owner.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckG

Reaction score
Greeting New Klarstein owner and new to group. Been following all the mods being made, especially the YouTube vids from @MagicPancake. Start doing some myself. Got a camping mat but it does not have foil on both sides. Is it ok to put it on foam side in or should I put the foil toward the kettle and the pea green foam out? I would rather look at the shiny foil but not at the cost of melting the foam to the kettle during a brew. The foam is 1cm thick dense foam like a yoga mat.

Thanks,
chuckg

Greeting New Klarstein owner and new to group. Been following all the mods being made, especially the YouTube vids from @MagicPancake. Start doing some myself. Got a camping mat but it does not have foil on both sides. Is it ok to put it on foam side in or should I put the foil toward the kettle and the pea green foam out? I would rather look at the shiny foil but not at the cost of melting the foam to the kettle during a brew. The foam is 1cm thick dense foam like a yoga mat.

Thanks,
chuckg

Hi n welcome.. the foam wont melt, and im sure having the foil external is purely aesthetic in every case so go for it ;)

test some foam if you feel the need drop some in a pan of boiling water with a tspoon or 2 of salt added to raise gravity/boiling temp.

Hi n welcome.. the foam wont melt, and im sure having the foil external is purely aesthetic in every case so go for it ;)

test some foam if you feel the need drop some in a pan of boiling water with a tspoon or 2 of salt added to raise gravity/boiling temp.

Thanks for the feedback. That is a great idea. The mat is longer than I need so I can take an old pot, boils some water and stick a piece of the mat on the side and see if anything happens. I'll let everyone know.

Chuck

The foam won't melt at boiling temperatures. You could agonise over which way will give most thermal benefit, but noone wants ugly equipment. Keep the shiny side out!

The shiny side reflects heat, so you want it pointed whichever way you want the heat to go. Shiny side in if you're keeping things hot, shiny side out if you're keeping things cold. Same principle as kitchen foil.

Is it foil or just a silver finish? Either way the insulation will come from the air in the foam. Mine is shiny side out (Decathalon).

BTW I'm afraid the dull side on foil is down to the manufacturing process not to reflect heat, they roll 2 layers at once to get it thin enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Is it foil or just a silver finish? Either way the insulation will come from the air in the foam. Mine is shiny side out (Decathalon).

BTW I'm afraid the dull side on foil is down to the manufacturing process not to reflect heat, they roll 2 layers at once to get it thin enough.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Its a foil layer attached to the foam. The foam is 1cm thick so I agree that is were the insulation will be coming from. Was just concerned about it being melted by the heat of the kettle since the kettle is not double walled.

Chuck

Its a foil layer attached to the foam. The foam is 1cm thick so I agree that is were the insulation will be coming from. Was just concerned about it being melted by the heat of the kettle since the kettle is not double walled.

Chuck

Hey Chuck it's fine. The exposed foam on some parts gets a little deformed but never melts per se. Does get quite sticky from wort so taking it apart recently I went ahead and added some double wall cardboard for even better insulation. I did that recently and found it to be more effective!

Latest posts

Back