New Member - Confused with Lager Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcrow24

Reaction score
Hi All ,

New brewer here from sunny Glasgow , I am currently converting my Attic into a 'Man Cave'. Everything I have done to it so far has been with my own two hands , To finish it off I really want to have the perfect home draught lager / beer on tap.
So here is where I'm at , I currently have an IPA in a pressure barrel for clearing / conditioning. It is in the Attic at a temp of about 8 Degrees.
I have tonight brewed my first Lager , Using a kit called Young's definitive Lager. It is currently now in its fermentation place in my cupboard which maintains around 20 Degrees , Here is my issue. According to everything I read, True Lager should be fermented at low temps , 2 -8 Degrees ??
The kit instructions stated 18 - 24 Deg , So now I'm wondering if the Yeast that comes with the kit is actually a Beer Yeast ?
I mean it makes no difference to me , I have a cellar that is pretty much around 5 Deg all the time so this would be ideal , BUT I don't want to move the brew in there and I have a beer yeast in it.

Can anyone advise if they have used this kit and what they done ?
I will be really annoyed if it turns out they are advertising a Lager kit that actually has a beer yeast in it , Surely this is false advertising ?

PS - Hello bye the way :grin:

I believe most "lager kits" use ale yeasts. That's what the guys in Brew Store were telling me today. They said they sold one kit that uses a lager yeast, and someone brought it back in complaining that it smelled of sulphur (which would disappear during lagering...).

Thanks for the reply ,

It seems that the kit makers are appealing to the lager drinkers with the hope that they will buy the kit ( As I have done ).

Does the kit taste like Lager ?

Is this actually Lager I'm making :twisted:

I've done a couple of lager kits (Coopers and Muntons ) and if I'm being honest neither tasted much like any lager I've ever drank.I've also done a couple of Brewferm lager kits which I'm going to leave for 3 months before trying so I have high hopes for those. I only brewed the lagers for mates to drink but I still like a cold lager on a warm day so would really like to find a good one to brew

Cheers

Thanks Sausage ,

So , Has anyone brewed an authentic lager ? , If so can you please give us the instructions.
I for one am not willing to keep buying 'Lager' kits that are not actually what they say on the tin.........

Have a look here - http://www.coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/lager/

I have used these simple recipes to make the kits a better drink. I was very surprised how good the Authentic IPA turned out.

Most lager kits come with ale yeast which needs to be fermented around the 18c mark, to make a lager it needs to be fermented at or around 12c with lager yeast and then stored for 6 weeks or more at low temps to get that crisp clean lager taste

Coopers European lager and Coopers Pilsner both come with a lager yeast. Lagers are generally fermented between 10 and 13C ish.

A lot of lager kits come with an ale yeast as most kit brewers don't have the facilities to ferment at a lager temperature. With a suitable ale yeast like US05 you can make a lager like beer at temperatures around 17-18C.

Along with all the above, remember that proper lager is not the watery, bland extra fizzy super cold stuff that comes 4 for a fiver from the offy. Lager simply refers to the cold storage (Lager from the German 'to store'), and covers a huge range of beers, from Bocks to pilsners. In reality you are not, without lots of industrial equipment and/or chemicals going to brew fosters at home. Instead go for a light golden or blonde or pale ale - you will be much less disappointed.

I have brewed a Vienna Lager, a style which, were it not for a handful of Mexican breweries would be dead now; it was a labour of love!

8 weeks to ferment, 3 to condition, 10 weeks lagered and it is only just starting to lose the astringency. That said, it is now a wonderful beer, very different to anything else I have ever drunk, clean herbal aroma, perfect crispness and a hint of breadiness from the Vienna Malt. I would be happy to share the recipe if anyone was interested.

So , Has anyone brewed an authentic lager ? , If so can you please give us the instructions.

As other have said, Coopers European is good and comes with a proper lager yeast.

However, I've got good results with Coopers Australian, even though it comes with an ale yeast: in fact, added a new review last night folliwng a superb bottle of it. Additional hops and a lot of patience is you friend, lagers need much more time to come good:
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17806

I for one am not willing to keep buying 'Lager' kits that are not actually what they say on the tin.........

Hi and welcome. I'm fairly new to here too and have just started a lager from Brupaks, their Beers of the World range which claims to have a true lager yeast and I am inclined to believe this as it was showing signs of fermenting in under 24hrs at 13C. (I just found the packet and this is the one included with the kit https://www.brouwland.com/en/our-pr...ewing-yeast-brewferm-lager-12-gr#.VQP2MeH-mws)

Although mainly an ale and cider drinker I'm trying the Czech Pilsner as I am a fan of this style on the occasions I need a cold beer (Pilsner Urquell, Budwiser Budvar etc). They also do other lager styles in the same range. Not cheap at about £15 for a single can that makes 10 ltrs. I decided to try these as I've always been disappointed with the ale yeast kits I've tried in the past. If this doesn't work out I'm quitting lager kits and will spend the cash on Urquell!

I've posted what I'm doing in the Beer brewdays section if you are interested in how this goes as I've not seen any reviews of the kit elsewhere. http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=52251

Last edited:
Thanks Servorg ,

Many thanks for your information, I wish you luck with your lager trials.
Its pretty confusing but I will be trying a lager kit for my next brew , Only problem is the summer is coming in now so may have to re-think this.

So,

I have now bought a real lager kit based on some recommendations and guidance on this forum.
The kit I bought is the Coopers European complete with beer enhancer 2 ?

Here is my plan of action for this kit , Mix as per standard in fermenter ,
Put fermenter in my cellar , Temp around 6-10 Deg at this time of year.
Leave for 8 weeks and then syphon to my corny.
Now here is where I need the assistance, /do I force carbonate at this stage or just refrigerate with c02 connected for a few weeks ?

Any tips welcome !!! :drink:

Latest posts

Back