New pc build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost finished, just a couple more fans to add and she's done. Running peachy though...

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

Got it sitting at a very stable 4.5Ghz @ 1.2v with 76DegC maximum load temp over 12 hours. Getting 1m digits with super_pi mod in 8 seconds.

Out of curiosity I bumped it up to 4.7Ghz and saw 7.7 seconds :D

Very nice build! :thumb:

Looks much neater than mine lol. But then again I don't have a perspex plate on the side. I notice your speeds and they are good. I can get my 6100 to 4.2ghz and still be rock solid. 4.5ghz and I notice instability in games like Battlefield 3. I have had it to 4.6 and the system screamed and refused to boot even windows lol. just shows what that extra 100mhz can do. But I wonder if it's a psu issue more than any thing else as temps never got past 75 degrees at full load.

Noticed the two fans on the H60. have you noticed any difference between having just one and two fans on the raditor?

What are you idle temps like? I gave mine a little bit of maintenance today - took the heatsink off, gave it a good hoovering, then cleaned up the paste, reapplied and put it back on.

Clocked it up to 4Ghz and sitting at about 47c idle (which seems high to me), but the cooler is a hefty Noctua so should be up to the job. Under load it gets a bit too high so will need to keep an eye on it.

Liking the look of the H60 too - but apart from a new GPU which I can carry across to my next build I'm not sure I want to invest much further on this machine.

P.S. Nice clean build by the way! Mines looking a little messy now but yours is really neat!

at 4.2ghz I get 45c-47c at idle and at stock 3.6ghz speed I get 25c-30c. I was looking at noctua but it's a big chunk of heatsink and it also means I can't fit anything other than low profile memory and the H60 just looks sexy lol.

critty said:
Very nice build! :thumb:

Looks much neater than mine lol. But then again I don't have a perspex plate on the side. I notice your speeds and they are good. I can get my 6100 to 4.2ghz and still be rock solid. 4.5ghz and I notice instability in games like Battlefield 3. I have had it to 4.6 and the system screamed and refused to boot even windows lol. just shows what that extra 100mhz can do. But I wonder if it's a psu issue more than any thing else as temps never got past 75 degrees at full load.

Noticed the two fans on the H60. have you noticed any difference between having just one and two fans on the raditor?

I had the i7 up at 5ghz but I had to up the voltage and the temps were way up there so I pulled it back. I was just curious lol. Surprisingly it ran absolutely fine. The temps were cracking into 90 degrees with prime running though so I decided 4.5 was my sweet spot.

I'll be able to get a bit more out of it once I've re-configured my fans, I stupidly set them to draw air out rather than in. Difference of around 10 degrees at the upper limit, apparently.

Did you tweak your voltage when hitting for 4.6? The PSU shouldn't really be a bottle neck for a bios boot, voltage would be though.

I've had the 2 fans on there since I built it so not sure if it will make any difference or not. According to the fan benchmark thing that I was reading it did, it won't do any harm anyway... especially once I have them configured properly :)

Eric_S said:
What are you idle temps like? I gave mine a little bit of maintenance today - took the heatsink off, gave it a good hoovering, then cleaned up the paste, reapplied and put it back on.

Clocked it up to 4Ghz and sitting at about 47c idle (which seems high to me), but the cooler is a hefty Noctua so should be up to the job. Under load it gets a bit too high so will need to keep an eye on it.

Liking the look of the H60 too - but apart from a new GPU which I can carry across to my next build I'm not sure I want to invest much further on this machine.

P.S. Nice clean build by the way! Mines looking a little messy now but yours is really neat!

Is that with an i7 or an AMD?

Mine sits around 20 degrees at idle. It sounds like you may have too much paste on. I swapped the stock paste out for MX-4 and when I booted it up it ran toasty. Stripped it apart and re-applied to get it running sweet again.

No matter what I run mine at the idle is 20 degrees, I think that's because the processor clocks up on load, so when idling it isn't constantly running at 4.5ghz.

ScottM said:
Did you tweak your voltage when hitting for 4.6? The PSU shouldn't really be a bottle neck for a bios boot, voltage would be though.
I did tweak the voltage settings and it allowed me past the BIOS. But the fx series seems to have some strange way of handeling loads and as soon as Windows started to load it must have pushed it too far and it just instantly hung.

critty said:
ScottM said:
I did tweak the voltage settings and it allowed me past the BIOS. But the fx series seems to have some strange way of handeling loads and as soon as Windows started to load it must have pushed it too far and it just instantly hung.

Needs more volts :D

It'll never be stable though, but it will work for a mess around. Set it for 4.6 then boot into the bios and see what the temp is like. Bump up the voltage a few notches and make sure it's still ok. If everything is fine then try it again, keep going till it boots. Obviously don't go too nuts though :D

I'm currently sitting at 1.2v for 4.5ghz, for the 5ghz clock I had to run 1.35v. There are guys running over 6ghz and to get that they are up nearer 1.75v. They are running on liquid nitrogen though :D

Better, so much better. Because I own both I can say the pc version plays better. For example because I play flight sim x and own a hotas controller I can actually fly the planes and helicopters. And I am good at it. Where as the Xbox version I crash instantly lol. Especially the helicopter as the Xbox controls make no sense. Also the pc version has better graphics.

Back