New to home cider making

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bristol43

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve just joined the forum as I’m looking to start making my own cider.
I think I understand the basic process, and will try some small batches as practice to start off with.
I’ll probably use shop bought pure 100% Apple juice first, but eventually want to press my own apples with a press that I’m going to make.
I don’t have access to any free apples when it comes to harvest time, so wondered where people get large quantities of apples from to make roughly 5 gallons? Local farms? Green grocers? Wholesale supplier?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

I don’t have access to any free apples when it comes to harvest time, so wondered where people get large quantities of apples from to make roughly 5 gallons? Local farms? Green grocers? Wholesale supplier?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Most members use 100% apple juice from the supermarket its 69 pence per litre so approx £15 to make 5 gallons of cider - Growers Harvest Pure Apple Juice 1 Litre - Tesco Groceries

A great how to guide here - How to make Turbo Cider.

Seriously, the best ciders (in my opinion) are made with a mixture of apples. Scrumping helps, as you can't really stroll off with several kgs of apples. So, a few here, and a few there means that they probably won't be missed, and you end up with a half decent cider!
Some people are more that happy to give away windfalls, but that takes the fun out of it!

Seriously, the best ciders (in my opinion) are made with a mixture of apples. Scrumping helps, as you can't really stroll off with several kgs of apples. So, a few here, and a few there means that they probably won't be missed, and you end up with a half decent cider!
Some people are more that happy to give away windfalls, but that takes the fun out of it!

I did wonder how people could make homemade cider without access to large quantities of free apples. After reading the forum a bit more it seems most people use shop bought juice.

I’ll have a go at that first, then see if I can get my hands on a smaller quantity of apples to possibly make 5 litres.

I’ve read that a mixture of apples is good, somewhere around 70% dessert to 30% cooking seems to be the ratio. I like a medium dry cider around 6 or 7%, so will be hoping to make something like that.

Generally, 90% dessert to 10% cookers or crabs.
Most apple juice will ferment to about the %age you are looking for.

We used a mixture of apples from the trees in my garden, and farm pyo ones.
using supermarket juice is easier, i also used crabapples in the last supermarket batch to give it some je ne sais quoi, however that one is still bubbling, so jury is still out. . . .

Scrumping isn't something I have heard of for years. Good work though 😁

I was given a few bucket loads of apples a couple of years ago and, to be honest, it was hard work extracting the juice with a juicer. A press is probably much easier but shop bought apple juice is the easy way to go for me though.

Latest posts

Back