Newbie after advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowellyboy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a new starter to home brewing and iv come stuck on my first batch and was wondering if anyone could help.

I've bought a Youngs cellar 7 30 bottle wine kit as it seemed straight forward for a beginner and it seems to still be fermenting after having it in the cupboard for 6 nights so far with a temp of 22-24 degrees C.
According to the instructions it should be fermented within 5 days but after taking a reading with a hydrometer it has an S.G reading of 1.060 and the airlock is still bubbling pretty fast. This is my primary fermenting stage.

Is there anything I might of done wrong or shall I still be patient for a few more days as this may be normal?

Thanks in advance

Lee

These kits often take a bit longer than the instructions claim, if it's bubbling away then there's nothing much to worry about, just give it another few days or until the bubbles slow down, then take another reading.

I've made a few of those kits and I think they all took a few more days than I expected.

Good luck 😃

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thank you guys, my mind is at ease now lol. I'l keep you updated on my hopefully positive progress lol

Hi all.

I'm a new starter to home brewing and iv come stuck on my first batch and was wondering if anyone could help.

I've bought a Youngs cellar 7 30 bottle wine kit as it seemed straight forward for a beginner and it seems to still be fermenting after having it in the cupboard for 6 nights so far with a temp of 22-24 degrees C.
According to the instructions it should be fermented within 5 days but after taking a reading with a hydrometer it has an S.G reading of 1.060 and the airlock is still bubbling pretty fast. This is my primary fermenting stage.

Is there anything I might of done wrong or shall I still be patient for a few more days as this may be normal?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Welcome to the forum Lee.

Yes you have done something wrong - you have read the instructions lol.

The instructions in beer/wine kits are notorious in their inaccuracy. I have had a porter kit bubbling away for 3 weeks and no probs (I think).

If your kit is bubbling then it is probably ok. Take another SG reading in a few days and if it is lower then it is fermenting.

I am not an expert on wines but they tend to rocket with fermentation. If you are getting it a bit slower then maybe the yeast was old or stressed and you have a slow fermentation - it will just take longer then.

One thing iv just read up on about slow fermenting is the type of water used.
Instead of using normal tap water I have gone and used distilled water from bottles which I'm hoping I haven't ruined the wine. There are supplements apparently I can add but not sure of this.

One thing iv just read up on about slow fermenting is the type of water used.
Instead of using normal tap water I have gone and used distilled water from bottles which I'm hoping I haven't ruined the wine. There are supplements apparently I can add but not sure of this.

As has been said take no notice of kit instructions when it comes to time, it will be finished when it is finished,.

I have never read about water being responsible for slow fermentation and believe me i have read thousands of threads/posts here.

Honestly, do not worry, all is well, keep checking with your hydrometer. Ignore the 'days' the instructions tell you. Pay more attention to what they are telling you, hydrometer readings etc.
Which wine did you choose? I did a 7 day Harris Red Wine recently and it has turned out rather well! Got it aging in the cellar for Christmas!

Iv been using a Youngs cellar 7 rose blush 5 day kit. I've done as you and everyone else has said and went by my hydrometer readings and at long last I obtained my readings and I put my finings in today so a huge thanks to you all for your help

Back