Newbie in need of some advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottie81

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Long time listener, first time caller so to speak 😂 After a good 20 year gap from dabbling with home brew with some success and some disasters i decided to have another and go, and with one of my home brew kits I've run in to a problem.

Currently brewing a Muntons Belgian Style Ale kit which is one that needs 4 to 6 days initial primary fermentation, then moving to another FV along with spray malt and some of the yeast lees. The problem is that the gravity should be below 1.014 before moving onto the next stage but has become stuck at the dreaded 1.020 after 7 days now, fermentation is still going strong as well.

The question is do I move to the next stage, decanting in to a FV adding spray malt etc.. or hold back until the gravity drops to 1.014?

Thanks in advance, Scott.

What temp you got it at? I've done that kit..I didn't transfer it,too much messing about and i doubt you'll gain anything. The reason behind adding more fermentables later could be the high abv the kit should produce..the yeast provided may have struggled to start. But don't worry...leave a couple of days then add the malt it'll be fine. Oh...have you added the correct amount of water? Isn't the kit a 30 something rather than a 40 pint?

As Clint says the temperature of your environment might slow down the fermentation if it's on the colder side - there's nothing wrong with waiting a little longer before advancing, it's safe in its little carbon dioxide layer - if it's not moving after a few extra days I'd move on.

What temp you got it at? I've done that kit..I didn't transfer it,too much messing about and i doubt you'll gain anything. The reason behind adding more fermentables later could be the high abv the kit should produce..the yeast provided may have struggled to start. But don't worry...leave a couple of days then add the malt it'll be fine. Oh...have you added the correct amount of water? Isn't the kit a 30 something rather than a 40 pint?
Thanks Clint, to be fair I've got the home brew going in an outside home office and i've not really picked the best time to brew to be honest as it's been a little difficult to regulate the temperature with the recent cold snap we've had. I'll leave it a couple more days now with a bit more confidence then check the gravity. I've picked up a InkBird temp controller today so the next brew will be more consistent.

I was tempted to just leave it in one FV for the duration but was concerned I could stir the up the trub (think that the right name for all the sediment) when i add the spray malt at the next stage, it sounds like you managed this and it turned out okay.

I did make sure that I added the correct amount of water as it is a 30/31 pint kit.

Thanks Scott.

As Clint says the temperature of your environment might slow down the fermentation if it's on the colder side - there's nothing wrong with waiting a little longer before advancing, it's safe in its little carbon dioxide layer - if it's not moving after a few extra days I'd move on.
Thanks, definitely gives me a bit more confidence, need to have more patients and a little faith I guess 🙏

Hi, just following on from my previous question, I decided to transfer my brew into a secondary FV adding 560g of spraymalt as instructed but fermentation has stopped, in fact it never started again after transferring. It was bubbling away at the time of transferring and I'm worried now that it won't start again.

Should I just leave it and hope for the best or is there a way i can kick start the final part of the brew before bottling? The temp range for the second stage was between 20 and 24 degrees and I've managed to keep this steady at 21.5 to 22 degrees.

Hi, just following on from my previous question, I decided to transfer my brew into a secondary FV adding 560g of spraymalt as instructed but fermentation has stopped, in fact it never started again after transferring. It was bubbling away at the time of transferring and I'm worried now that it won't start again.

Should I just leave it and hope for the best or is there a way i can kick start the final part of the brew before bottling? The temp range for the second stage was between 20 and 24 degrees and I've managed to keep this steady at 21.5 to 22 degrees.

Have you checked the specific gravity? Just because you can't see bubbles it doesn't mean it isn't fermenting.
If you check the SG two days in a row and it doesn't change then give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast from the bottom.

Have you checked the specific gravity? Just because you can't see bubbles it doesn't mean it isn't fermenting.
If you check the SG two days in a row and it doesn't change then give it a gentle stir to rouse the yeast from the bottom.
Thanks for the reply Richard, I checked the SG prior to moving to the secondary FV, it was steady but slightly above 1.014 but decided to move on after 10 days initial brewing. I'll leave it be for a day or so before checking the SG again and or stirring the yeast up from the bottom.

Latest posts

Back