Newbie Brewer, schoolboy error

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkian

Reaction score
Hello !

I inherited a pressure barrel and like a complete new starter (which I am) I've used it to try and brew some Cooper's Stout.

Now, it seems to be going Ok - there was a lot of foam shooting out the top through the pin hole but it's settled down now and the temp is a constant 21.

It's been in there since Saturday and the 'foaming' seems to have died down.

If I leave it in there another week or so do you think I'll be safe to bottle it ?

I've ordered an actual fermantion bucket with tap for my next endevour so won't be making that mistake again :lol:

Also, I've heard that using honey instead of sugar when bottling Stout can work well, can anyone confirm this and maybe recommend a 'brand' and quantity needed ?

Cheers :drink:

dont know if using honey is any good but leaving your stout another week will do no harm. Do you have a hydrometer so you can tell when fermentation is finished. Also what do you mean by pin hole dont you have an airlock on the bucket?

Hi

I've picked up a Hydrometer but unfortunately I didn't do an initial reading, hindsight is a bugger

The pressure barrel has an air tight cap on it with a small opaque circle in the middle of it, the foam was bubbling out of this ?

A vent cap I think its called ?

so you have fermented in a pressure barrel. Bit strange. Just leave it another week and the hydrometer reading should be around 1.010 or below. Make sure it has a stable reading for 2 or 3 days before bottling

Well yes, I know that now, hense the thread :D

As I said, I'll use my new bucket in the future.

Can I use my pressure barrel for secondary fermentation ?

secondary fermentation is carbonating in the bottle (unless you're racking onto fruit etc.) you add the sugar to carbonate your beer, seal it and it ferments again in an airtight environment which is what's released when you open the bottle cap to drink - about 1/2tsp to the pint for stout.

you really should not ferment in the barrel, hahah. especially stout which is notoriously foamy! if it's died down, it's probably safe to say fermentation is slowing or stopped. like mark says leave it for a week and then bottle, best way to be sure.

and just use sugar - it doesnt make a huge difference and it's better to keep things simple.

there's plenty of good info in here - viewtopic.php?f=30&t=24822

Heh heh, yes, there was ALOT of foam :rofl:

And thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know how it turns out, hopefully I'll be a bit more handy at it in time for the Six Nations next year :drink:

Back