Newbie brewing advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD99

Reaction score
Hi

Although I've brewed a few kits in the past, I'm very much a novice at brewing, and was hoping for some advice.

I started a Bulldog Stout kit, sterilised everything, and followed the guide to the letter.
Within around 12 hrs of adding the yeast, I had a nice frothy head in the fermenting bin, and the trap began to bubble nicely.

24 hrs later, completely dead, all froth had gone, and nothing going through the trap.

I maintained a temp of 22C (using a thermostatic heater), which was verified by a second thermometer.
My OG was 1042, and is now down to 1018. (3 days after yeast added)

The guide said the fermentation would take around 8-10 days.

Is the above expected behaviour? - something doesn't seem right to me.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Three days is very quick for a kit to finish. The couple I tried took about 3 weeks to finish.

Some yeasts are very sensitive to drops in temperature, even one or two degrees. But you say that hasn't happened.
I suspect with starting the batch at 22degC the yeast will have shot off before it had fully finished growing and now might be exhausted.

Option 1 - Some yeasts benefit from rousing, give the FV a little shake if you can or sanitise a long handled spoon and stir gently.

Option 2 - You could try nudging the temperature up to 23-24 to see if it responds but chances are the yeast will start throwing off esters and taste more fruity or plasticky than you want.

Option 3 - Last option, if you have any, pitch another sachet of the same yeast and hope for the best. Even better is to pitch a sachet of Nottingham or Gervin (Wilco) ale yeast as they are known to be pretty good at dealing with anything.

In future, I'd start off at a lower temperature, say 19degC. Then after 3-4 days increase to 20, then after a week increase again to 21. That way the yeast doesn't get too stressed to start with but will finish strongly and still in your recommended brewing range. If you start near the top of the range it will ferment quicker to start but there is no room for raising the temperature to give it a nudge if it stalls.
I have a Saison in my fermenter for the last few weeks and the yeast works well at high temperatures. For a saison you want the peppery spicy phenols that the yeast produces. I had it sat at 22, tyhen raised to 24 and it stopped after a few days. On nudging the temperature up to 26, nothing. When I got to 27 it sprang back to life and has been happily bubbling away for another week at that temperature. However this is a Belgian ale yeast and 27 degrees is not recommended for British ale yeasts! It illustrates the point though.

Just because nothing is happening in the airlock doesn't mean fermentation has stopped, run your hand round the lid it might have been pushed enough for gas to escape
Of course, the obvious explanation that I overlooked. Nice one @Rodcx500z. Also, good to know you're still alive after your little sesh yesterday! :laugh8:

Latest posts

Back