Newbie question about the two piece airlock.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CabSav

Wine Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all. This may be a stupid question but I'm having trouble working out how the small two piece airlock works. I have half filled it with water and put the top section on. Is the top section supposed to be tightly fitted? If so, how will the CO2 escape? If its just loosly placed on, then the CO2 will just come up the centre and escape but also air may get in?

Seen on some YouTube vids form US showing a three piece that makes much more sense. Debating weather to go and get a bubbler instead..

This is a link to the airlocks I have: http://shop4homebrew.co.uk/shop/equipment/airlocks-bungs/handy-airlock.html

Thanks, Matt.

You just bung yer water in and slip the top on. it shouldn't be tight , the one i had certainly wasn't. Try putting some water in, slip the top on and gently blow up from underneath. You should find it doesn't take much to get it bubbling.

just how you did it is how it works, sometimes during a strong fermentation I have had the top bit pop up and down with the escaping CO2

I tried these too but prefer the old bubbler design.

Anyway, fill it with a centimetre of water and pop the lid on, yes it should click on snuggly and not just laid on top (it's not supposed to bounce around and you don't want air getting into the unit through any gap in the lid.).

I don't like the two piece design and agree the 3 piece design I have seen on YouTube videos does seem to make more sense.

If this doesn't make sense let me know but I know what you mean because I felt exactly the same way

I have been using these for a long time as they are a lot quieter than the old type, I add enough water to just cover the bottom end of the inner tube, I also press the top down tight, there are tiny holes just under the rim to let the CO2 out.
They wear after time and the top doesn't seal so then you don't have the option.

Latest posts

Back