Newbie Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickoh

Reaction score
Hi sorry for a numpty newbie question

I have got my second batch finished its primary and sitting in the FV. It has been on for about 10 days and is finished now based on consecutive daily hydrometer readings

I am now worrying about bottling and SF since I don't have enough bottles yet ( haven't finished my first lot from a couple of weeks ago yet :cheers: )

Do I need to rush to the brew shop today to get a barrel or can it wait until the weekend when I will have more time.

Is it going to harm it sat for another 2/3 days - I don't want to make 40 pints of vinegar - I have worked quite hard on this one

Thanks in advance for you help

if your sanitising routine is up to scratch, I see no reason why it can't wait until the weekend.

you could if you're really concerned, nip to the supermarket and buy the cheapest of cheap 2L pop bottles (and pour the contents down the sink, or drink it of course :sick: ). they hold the pressure well and a few of us use them if we're out of glass bottles or caps.

I've left batches of beer in my FV's for way past 10 days. Actually now it's not unusual for my brews to require 14 days or more. Especially with Ringwood yeast that needs regular rousing. Longest i've left a brew is 21 days. It did have a little bit of weirdo mould growing on the surface but i just racked off and left a few extra L in there than i normally do to stop the mould being sucked up. It was quite a good brew.

As BS say's, as long as your initial sterilising was good and you maintain good practise throughout the fermenting period there's no reason it can't go for another few days.

The big thing though. Don't worry, it'll be cool till you can get some more bottles. If you drink all the ones you've got in a binge tonight then you can bottle tomorrow. :lol:

Good luck. Glad you feel like you've put some effort in and want to do all you can to produce a great beer. :cool:

I've left a brew in the FV for three months (don't ask) and it was fine. A slight extra "bite" to it - yeast bite I guess, but perfectly drinkable.

I wouldn't do that as a matter of course though.

Latest posts

Back