Newly bottled beer query....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor

Reaction score
Bottled up a batch of Coopers Real Ale on Monday... Had a wee taste before hand and was well impressed. My first HB beer and it tasted absolutely great. However, I proceeded to bottle it with one teaspoon (measuring spoon) into each bottle then put it away to condition for a few weeks (room temp as advised here I think). But I couldn't resist keeping back one bottle which I had with my dinner last night and although still drinkable it didn't taste anywhere like as good as it had before bottling/adding sugar. I'm kinda wishing I hadn't bothered with the sugar coz it tasted great without it. Anyway, is it likely that it'll be ok once it's been left for a while, hard to describe the taste but kinda like treacle.

Cheers

Ian

How long had it been before you had that sneaky bottle? If it was only a couple of days the yeast probably hadn't had time to eat the sugar to carb up the beer, which is why it tasted sweet .

If that's the case, leaving it in the warm for 2 weeks then moving to a cooler place will definitely fix this. :thumb:

Yup, makes sense... Bottled on Monday, sneaky one last night .. so only had been two days.. The rest are at room temp now and will move to the garage in two weeks... Fingers crossed...

Cheers :drink:

As was said above it will not taste sweet after a couple of weeks at room temp. The yeast will turn the sugar in alcohol and fizz.
The longer you leave it the better it will get!

Latest posts

Back