Nitrous oxide: Laughing gas sales to be banned, says Gove

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I see lots of these canisters in car parks around here, i had no idea heavy use can lead to brain damaged and also damage to nerves in the spinal column so its probably best to stop these addicts using it.

I have no idea what they are used for other than whipping cream as that's all that comes up when searching.

1679835315326.png

By Sam Francis
Political reporter, BBC News

The sale of laughing gas will be banned under plans to tackle anti-social behaviour, Michael Gove has announced.
The levelling up secretary told the BBC nitrous oxide can have a "damaging effect on young brains" and its public use can lead to "greater lawlessness".
The Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) recently advised against new laws to ban nitrous oxide.
Nitrous oxide, sold in metal canisters, is known as NOS and is the second most-used drug by UK 16 to 24-year-olds.
The details of the ban have not yet been released. The BBC understands the ban would be issued under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, which regulates drugs based on their perceived harm and potential for misuse.
It is already illegal to produce or supply the gas for its psychoactive effects under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. The law makes production, supply and importation of nitrous oxide for inhalation illegal, but not possession.

Speaking on the BBC's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme, Mr Gove said: "We are doing this because if you walk through any urban park you will see these little silver cannister which are the evidence of people regarding public spaces as arenas for drug taking.
"It is unacceptable. People should feel those spaces are being looked after in a way which means they are safe for children."
Mr Gove said the drug has an "intoxicating and potentially damaging effect on young brains and young nervous systems".
Heavy use can lead to a vitamin deficiency that damages nerves in the spinal column.
Earlier this year the Home Office asked the ACMD to provide advice on whether to make possession of nitrous oxide a crime.
The report recommended the substance should not be controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act - which allows the use of life sentences for those supplying or producing some drugs.
The ACMD stated the Psychoactive Substances Act - which limits prison sentences to a maximum of seven years - "remains appropriate legislation".
It said sanctions for the offences would be disproportionate with the level of harm associated with nitrous oxide, as well as creating "significant burdens" for legitimate uses of the substance.
Nitrous oxide is regularly used as an anaesthetic in medicine and dentistry, and as a gas for making whipped cream in cooking.
Labour backed the plans to ban the sale of nitrous oxide. Shadow culture secretary Lucy Powell said its use "causes a huge amount of littering disruption and anti-social behaviour".
She added: "We do need to tackle at source these kind of behaviours that are blights on our community."

It comes as the government unveils a new strategy to crack down on anti-social behaviour - more details of which are expected to be published next week.
Public drug use, fly-tipping and low-level crimes such as graffiti are to be targeted with a strategy of "hotspot" policing and "short and sharp" punishments.
People who vandalise public spaces will have to repair the damage they cause within 48 hours of being given an order.
A pilot, covering 10 areas, aims to show the public such acts are "quickly and visibly" punished.
Ms Powell said the plans "amount to nothing".
Labour have also accused the government of cutting neighbourhood policing, leading to fewer offenders being punished.
"We've heard it all before from this government and I think we have to judge them by their record," Ms Powell added.

Last edited:
Once again, Michael "people have had enough of experts" Gove showing his contempt for anyone who knows what they are talking about. 😔

Banning its sale is an inconvenience for those that use it legitimately but it has to be a good thing when you consider the harm its doing to those using it as a legal high, i imagine they will bring something in to allow those that can prove they are in catering the means to get it.

Its going ahead, this was posted on BBC News 19 minutes ago -

Possessing laughing gas is to be made a criminal offence for the first time, the government has announced.

There will also be tighter controls on retailers to prevent the supply of nitrous oxide for misuse.
It goes against recommendations from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) which recently advised against new laws to ban nitrous oxide.
Nitrous oxide, sold in metal canisters, is known as NOS and is one of the most-used drug by UK 16 to 24-year-olds.
The details are expected to be released on Monday. The BBC understands the ban would be issued under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, which regulates drugs based on their perceived harm and potential for misuse.
It is already illegal to produce or supply the gas for its psychoactive effects under the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016. The law makes production, supply and importation of nitrous oxide for inhalation illegal, but not possession.
The change is part of a crackdown on anti-social behaviour, which Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will announce on Monday.
A government spokesperson said: "We are concerned about the rise in health and social harms of nitrous oxide and how widely available it is to the public, particularly to young people. Therefore, we are banning nitrous oxide.
"We are for the first time making possession of nitrous oxide an offence; preventing supply for misuse by putting tighter controls on retailers; and giving greater powers to law enforcement to take action against those who are in breach."
Speaking on the BBC's Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg programme, Michael Gove said: "We are doing this because if you walk through any urban park you will see these little silver cannister which are the evidence of people regarding public spaces as arenas for drug taking.
"It is unacceptable. People should feel those spaces are being looked after in a way which means they are safe for children."
The levelling up secretary said the drug has an "intoxicating and potentially damaging effect on young brains and young nervous systems".
Heavy use can lead to a vitamin deficiency that damages nerves in the spinal column.

Stronger sentences​

Earlier this year the Home Office asked the ACMD to provide advice on whether to make possession of nitrous oxide a crime.
The report recommended the substance should not be controlled under the Misuse of Drugs Act - which allows the use of life sentences for those supplying or producing some drugs.
The ACMD stated the Psychoactive Substances Act - which limits prison sentences to a maximum of seven years - "remains appropriate legislation".
It said sanctions for the offences would be disproportionate with the level of harm associated with nitrous oxide, as well as creating "significant burdens" for legitimate uses of the substance.
The review also found "no substantive evidence of links between nitrous oxide and anti-social behaviour" aside from littering.
Nitrous oxide is regularly used as an anaesthetic in medicine and dentistry, and as a gas for making whipped cream in cooking.
Labour backed the plans to ban the sale of nitrous oxide. Shadow culture secretary Lucy Powell said its use "causes a huge amount of littering disruption and anti-social behaviour".
She added: "We do need to tackle at source these kind of behaviours that are blights on our community."

It comes as the government unveils a new strategy to crack down on anti-social behaviour.
Public drug use, fly-tipping and low-level crimes such as graffiti are to be targeted with a strategy of "hotspot" policing and "short and sharp" punishments.
People who vandalise public spaces will have to repair the damage they cause within 48 hours of being given an order.
A pilot, covering 10 areas, aims to show the public such acts are "quickly and visibly" punished.
Ms Powell said the plans "amount to nothing".
Labour have also accused the government of cutting neighbourhood policing, leading to fewer offenders being punished.
"We've heard it all before from this government and I think we have to judge them by their record," Ms Powell added.

Last edited:
And there was me thinking, those pesky home brewers always dumping their CO2 bulbs ....
But serious, why don't we have a law which has lots of space to add in or delete substances, then it would be just updated by Statutory Instrument which doesn't need reading in parliament....

“The levelling up secretary told the BBC nitrous oxide can have a "damaging effect on young brains" and its public use can lead to "greater lawlessness".”

cool, let’s ban alcohol while we’re at it, I can’t think of a such an easily available substance that does the individual and society as a whole more harm. Another desperate scrabble for middle England votes from this pack of *****

And there was me thinking, those pesky home brewers always dumping their CO2 bulbs ....
But serious, why don't we have a law which has lots of space to add in or delete substances, then it would be just updated by Statutory Instrument which doesn't need reading in parliament....
The problem with that is, any minister who takes a dislike to something, beer for example ( might be due to beer alcohol related crime, or just a prohibition throwback), could interject alcohol and we'd all be criminals.

“The levelling up secretary told the BBC nitrous oxide can have a "damaging effect on young brains" and its public use can lead to "greater lawlessness".”

cool, let’s ban alcohol while we’re at it, I can’t think of a such an easily available substance that does the individual and society as a whole more harm. Another desperate scrabble for middle England votes from this pack of *****

Playing devils advocate 16 & 17 year olds are not legally allowed to buy alcohol.

Nitrous oxide is the second most-used drug by UK 16 to 24-year-olds.

Playing devils advocate 16 & 17 year olds are not legally allowed to buy alcohol.
No, but 18 to 24 year olds are.

It’s just the ridiculous double standards that wind me up. I think you’d be hard pushed to find many people under 40 that haven’t at least tried some kind of illegal drug and how many of the population enjoyed a few underaged drinks (possibly down the park / etc) as teenagers?

You’re a kid, you’re bored and you want to test your limits, have a laugh with your mates and get a bit f##### up. Isn’t that what most adults, in there own way want to do too?

The side issue of the amount of drugs passing around private schools, high society parties and “business meetings” not to mention all the perks and exemptions of the commons bars and premises. It’s not what you do, it’s who’s doing it. Poor people and kids shouldn’t be allowed the same freedom to abuse their bodies as the rich.

Bit of a rant, I just hate them so much; hypocritical, self-serving, pocket lining scumbags with no sense of social conscience or decency.

Nitrous oxide: Laughing gas overdose left woman unable to walk​

• Published
      52 minutes ago

1679917580927.png

• A 25-year-old said taking too much laughing gas left her unable to walk and put her in hospital for six weeks.
    Mollie, from Caerphilly, said doctors found inflammation on her spinal cord and brain damage from the drug, which is also known as nitrous oxide.
    Nitrous oxide, sold in metal canisters, is one of the most-used drugs by UK 16 to 24-year-olds.
    On Monday, Prime Minister Rishi Sunak will announce the drug's ban in his plan to tackle anti-social behaviour.
    It goes against recommendations from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) which recently advised against new laws to ban nitrous oxide.The law makes production, supply and importation of nitrous oxide for human consumption illegal, but until now it has been legal to possess the cannisters.

Mollie, who did not want to share her surname, thinks the ban is a good idea.
    She found herself alone and isolated during the Covid pandemic and, to deal with her deteriorating mental health, she began buying laughing gas.
    "I was buying ten boxes a week, and each box contained 24 cannisters," she said.
    "I started getting pins and needles in my hands and feet, and I was fitting.
    "Part of me was in denial at it being linked to laughing gas."
    After a couple months, Mollie was on her way to work in a department store when she found herself unable to walk.
    In hospital, doctors discovered she had inflammation on her spinal cord and "massive nerve damage" from "starving" her brain of oxygen.
    "It was one of the doctors who said, 'do you use laughing gas?' And I said 'constantly'," she recalled.
    Doctors told Mollie's parents she may never walk again, leaving her "petrified".
    The drug can damage the nervous system by interfering with the metabolism of vitamin B12. This damages a protective layer on nerves, typically those in the rear of the spine.
    Mollie spent six weeks in rehabilitation and has now recovered, but still has pins and needles in her hands and feet.
    "I used to be a great runner and used to dance and now I can't do those things," she said.
    The experience inspired her to train to become a nurse.
    "When I was in hospital I was speaking to someone and they said I had a great mannerism for [nursing]," she said.
    "That was probably the best thing to come out of it all."
    Speaking to BBC Radio Wales, Martin Blakeborough, chief executive of the drug and alcohol charity Kaleidoscope, said the ban will not stop people from using the drug and investment in youth services was needed.
    "If we want to deal with anti-social behaviour in young people, firstly give them something to do, give them a safe place to go and that will actually move them away from the danger of drugs."

1679917651180.png

No, but 18 to 24 year olds are.

Laughing gas was not designed to be put into a balloon and breathed in and its obviously very addictive and appears to do a lot of damage in a very short time i don't see the harm in banning sales if the people buying it are not going to use it for its designed purpose.

Ban kitchen knives then...plenty of knife crime is carried out using them.
But in all seriousness I think it's a good move. The biggest problem is for legitimate users having to jump through hoops to get hold of it. They will also need extra security measures at where they use it.

No, but it is inhaled in large quantities during child birth and dental treatments.

Stuff exists, some people will abuse it, push it too far or are just unlucky. Unfortunately sh*t happens.

How many go out on a Saturday night, get drunk and hurt themselves, or worse beat some unfortunate to a bloody pulp? Not to mention alcoholism generally and the link with domestic violence.

How many people have the quality and longevity of their lives affect by being overweight?

How many are injured or killed in road traffic accidents each year?

By making NOS illegal you’re not saving the kids, you’re criminalising them.

No, but it is inhaled in large quantities during child birth and dental treatments.
You don't give birth or go to the dentist every day of the week!

As i said above -
Laughing gas was not designed to be put into a balloon and breathed in and its obviously very addictive and appears to do a lot of damage in a very short time

By making NOS illegal you’re not saving the kids, you’re criminalising them.

They are not making NOS illegal they are banning its sale to those that are going to use it to get high how is that not going to save kids from damaging their health and worse ending up dead.

Latest posts

Back