No Chill- the bad bits, what are they ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple of examples I've experienced :-

Forgetting to click the 'no chill' button on my recipe builder which meant the IBU was higher than I wanted. Luckily it was an IPA where the acceptable range is 30 to 30,000,000 IBU. :D

No chilling at ambient means you have no control over how long or how far chilling will go. I've had to warm up a wort so I could pitch the yeast as it was freezing cold in the brewshed and the wort had dropped to about 13 or 14c. Another cold weather time (because I was monitoring the wort temp) I realised it would hit pitch temp at 3am so I went back out and put a blanket round it (spot on in the morning).

I think that's the only negatives I have had.

I realised it would hit pitch temp at 3am so I went back out and put a blanket round it
Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the shed to put a blanket on your wort is some seriously dedicated brewing! 😯

I realised it would hit pitch temp at 3am so I went back out and put a blanket round it (spot on in the morning).

Oh my days, I love your dedication to the grain.

Hops out, switch off and come back tomoz will never, ever be the same again.

Ps. that is not completely correct, later afternoon (when fetching beer) I may have (just once🙄) popped the insulation back on in the winter. Omg does this make us brothers in ales. (sooo sorry)

Getting up in the middle of the night to go to the shed to put a blanket on your wort is some seriously dedicated brewing! 😯
LOL :laugh8: . I tracked the temperature from when I left it no chilling and then used Excels project forward function to see when it would be at pitch temp. It was around 8:30 at night when I trudged to the brewshed. I was putting the chickens away at the same time. Still sort of dedicated I suppose. 🧐

Oh my days, I love your dedication to the grain.

Hops out, switch off and come back tomoz will never, ever be the same again.

Ps. that is not completely correct, later afternoon (when fetching beer) I may have (just once🙄) popped the insulation back on in the winter. Omg does this make us brothers in ales. (sooo sorry)
I can hear the twang of a Dire Straits Fender guitar through the mist.

It's funny that with all the brewing science that is presumably funded by the industry, that the big boys seem to churn out so much mediocre stuff.
I must be doing something wrong - my own tastes quite nice...

It's funny that with all the brewing science that is presumably funded by the industry, that the big boys seem to churn out so much mediocre stuff.
I must be doing something wrong - my own tastes quite nice...
But the big boys are clearly doing it right, some we need to copy everything they do without question.

Imagine spending Christmas day clicking on a thread titled 'No Chill- the bad bits, what are they?' and being so butt hurt about negative observations, on a thread asking for the negatives. How sad. Stupid and insecure behaviour. What were you expecting to find? Perhaps you'd be better ignoring the thread rather than swapping discussing ignore lists.

Please put me at the top of your lists, if you haven't already. I'd hate to be causing further distress to such delicate little flowers.

get in!
soz i was late in this thread…as typical brian goes 🥴
been using cubes for a long time, sweet spot 80c filled the top.
rotate the cube on a cold floor, jobs a goodun!

When I was 'No Chill' brewing best bit of kit was the helix, only good for 'No Chill' because the viscosity of the wort when chilled won't allow the free running of the wort leaving all the break material and hop matter in the kettle
1703663491975.png

What went into the fermenter.
1703663560309.png

Latest posts

Back