No Priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vallyred

Reaction score
Good morning oh fonts of knowledge.
I have a strong dark mild OG of 1.059 on the go which I pitched on the yeast cake of the GW Summer Lightning clone (which was delicious going into bottles). I used S04 for the Summer Lightning and it went all the way down to 1.012 nicely.
Now the mild has stumbled slightly and after two and a half weeks is sat at 1.015. It was that three days ago and I'll be checking again later. If it's still at 1.015 I'm of the mind of just getting it into bottles.
Given I don't want a cupboard of nicely primed bottle bombs, what's your thoughts, given style, on no priming and using the residual sugars for the yeast to munch on over the coming weeks?
Seem like a basic question to ask and my gut instinct is to just crack on, but all my previous brews have hit FG target and priming has been straight forward.
Cheers in advance :thumb:

VR out.

Beersmith shows maximum attenuation for S-04 as 75%. From an OG of 1.059, that gives you a FG of 1.015 :)

I reckon you're done :thumb:

If the beer is at a fermentable temperature and the sg has not changed for a few days, it has stopped and is done. The post above gives a good explanation of why.

I have a brew that got a bit hot in teh mash and that one stopped at 1017. I know why - the high temperature at teh start of the mash meant that unfermentable sugars were produced. It's a cracking good ale though. Very good body.

Yours should come out about 5.9% abv. You can prime as you usually would.

Enjoy it.

Back