No rinse sanitiser re use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherman

Reaction score
Morning all

I use a no rinse sanitiser (Kegland stellasan) and I have no issues. However I do generally use it for one application and then dump it.

But, how long do people keep or use it for?

For example, if I made up 5 litres and used it for sterilising the Fermentor would it be ok to put the solution in a bucket and then use it again to do the bottling and cleaning a couple of weeks later and anything in-between.

I realise the stuff is cheap, it’s more for the convenience of having a bucket of the stuff made up for day to day admin?

Hope that makes sense

Morning all

I use a no rinse sanitiser (Kegland stellasan) and I have no issues. However I do generally use it for one application and then dump it.

But, how long do people keep or use it for?

For example, if I made up 5 litres and used it for sterilising the Fermentor would it be ok to put the solution in a bucket and then use it again to do the bottling and cleaning a couple of weeks later and anything in-between.

I realise the stuff is cheap, it’s more for the convenience of having a bucket of the stuff made up for day to day admin?

Hope that makes sense
You can use it continually for a while, once it starts to get cloudy mix a new batch.

Get a cheap trigger spray bottle. £1.50-£2 for a litre sprayer from a DIY or garden shop.

Make up the sanitiser in that with reverse osmosis or distilled water and it goes a very long way, will lasts for months and you'll always have it ready to go when you need it.

Get a cheap trigger spray bottle. £1.50-£2 for a litre sprayer from a DIY or garden shop.

Make up the sanitiser in that with reverse osmosis or distilled water and it goes a very long way, will lasts for months and you'll always have it ready to go when you need it.
I do have one of these but am never sure how long it can sit in there.

I do give it a swill about prior to use but not sure if that’s required :)

I’ve just bought my first corny keg and a fermzilla so am going to try pressure fermenting etc and there’s a lot more bits to adhoc sterilise.

I do have one of these but am never sure how long it can sit in there.

I do give it a swill about prior to use but not sure if that’s required :)

I’ve just bought my first corny keg and a fermzilla so am going to try pressure fermenting etc and there’s a lot more bits to adhoc sterilise.

I've found it lasts as long as you need it if you use reverse osmosis or distilled water.

Using a spray bottle you're also not reusing sanitiser that might have gradually had dust and dirt rinsed off into it off gear you are sanitising. You really don't need to immerse stuff in an acid sanitiser, it just needs to stay wet with sanitiser for 1 minute.

If I mix it with my tap water it’s cloudy in seconds. I use this for rinsing things prior to being used that have hard to reach places. For everything else it’s in a spray bottle with distilled water, which lasts forever.

I use tap water and make 15 litre batches, it is the pH that is important for the no-rinse sanitiser to work and last so I add a tiny drop of 'pH Down' then it lasts for at least 6 months before I make up a second batch. Pour it into the fermenter let it stand for a couple of minutes then tip the fermenter upside down for a couple of minutes. Job done.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to stop tipping it away after 1 use I think!

lasts for months as long as you don't contaminate it. Get some ph strips and you can measure the PH and discard when its not below some ph level - cant remember what it is, something like 3.5 maybe?

I tend to keep it in a large bucket for a good several months before replacing. Usually replace not because PH level gets to a point where its not effective, but more through contamination when I dip things in it and get bits floating around in it.

I use a spray bottle for most things.
For kegs I keep one keg filled with starsan and whenever another keg is empty and cleaned I transfer the starsan to the clean one using CO2 so the keg is fully purged and ready to go. I occassionally empty the starsan and refill with new but dont track it and probably leave it 6-12 months before replacing it.

lasts for months as long as you don't contaminate it. Get some ph strips and you can measure the PH and discard when its not below some ph level - cant remember what it is, something like 3.5 maybe?

I tend to keep it in a large bucket for a good several months before replacing. Usually replace not because PH level gets to a point where its not effective, but more through contamination when I dip things in it and get bits floating around in it.
Thanks. I have a spare 10 litre fermenter that I can use and have ordered ph strips that cover greater range than the brewing ones I have

Back