No sense of taste or smell !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Caught the dredded Chinese virus last week and been stuck in my room for the past week and it’s been a living nightmare. Have little recollection of Monday or Tuesday. Today woke up with no sense of smell or taste. To me this is a major problem as I love brewing and drinking hoppy beers and if I can’t taste them or smell them then am I soon to become a non drinker ? (Doubt it lol)
Question is has it happened to anyone else and if so how long did it last ?

A one minute internet search suggests for some, Covid induced loss of smell and/or taste could be long term. I suggest you do your own in depth search and find out more and then draw your own conclusions.

A one minute internet search suggests for some, Covid induced loss of smell and/or taste could be long term. I suggest you do your own in depth search and find out more and then draw your own conclusions.

Thank you for the reply and of course I have done research in the form of a 1 minute google search.
The reason I posted here is to ask other people’s experience with the same. But if you haven’t been through it then I’m sure you can’t have an opinion on it from a personal level.

I had a large bowl of very spicy soup for lunch not realising it had gone and the only thing I could detect was a slight tingle on my lips. It really is a total and complete loss of everything. Really worrying.

Hopefully it will improve with time. Brew something this weekend and hopefully you will be able to appreciate in full it when it’s ready!

One of our friends was poorly for 2 weeks but back at work after that. Not sure when the worst bit was.

Good to know , I would prefer taste over smell however I’d be happy with either at the min

Funnily enough my sense of taste & smell is poor anyway and I only realised that something was really wrong when I opened a bag of hops in the kitchen and my kids, sat the other side of the room started complaining about the smell and I hadn't even noticed! Stuck my head in the bag and nothing!

I’m always amazed every time my other half and I open a nice bottle of wine- completely different smells and flavours a lot of the time

Funnily enough my sense of taste & smell is poor anyway and I only realised that something was really wrong when I opened a bag of hops in the kitchen and my kids, sat the other side of the room started complaining about the smell and I hadn't even noticed! Stuck my head in the bag and nothing!
It’s weird. Been the worst bout of sickness I have ever had and I’m not sure what it’s preparing me for that I don’t need taste or smell but on the upside the wife’s dinners don’t taste bad

I actually had that symptom last year when I had a particularly bad cold. I remember we ordered dominoes and I got every chilli topping I could and the chilli sauce to go with it in the hopes it would some how reinvigorate my taste buds.
Nothing. Didn’t even know I was eating a chilli. I reckon I could’ve eaten a naga and not tasted it.

fascinating isn’t it? Lol

That lasted about 4 days for me but that was no doubt a completely different virus so who knows

Latest posts

Back