Not enough sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharrison

Reaction score
Hi all, I put a SG white chardonnay (I think) in to brew last week. It bubbled nicely for a couple of days but the final gravity never got below 1 but I thought, as there had been no action for a couple of days, I would just carry on. I degassed and added the stabiliser and one finings A pack and then realised my mistake. Instead of putting the 3kg of sugar in at the beginning I put 112g, which is what I'm supposed to put in at the end. Is this salvageable or is it a disaster darlings? All advice gratefully received.

It may be worth a try rather than waste it, if you didn't add the stabiliser thats even better, you will need more yeast and nutrient i would email the manufacturer and explain what you have done ask if you can buy another finings A pack and they will probably send one free which they have done for me in the past.

This is recoverable. But we need to overcome the stabiliser. With a reversal.

I am guessing this is a 5 gallon kit.

Get some k1v1116 yeast.
Dissolve a couple of tablespoons of sugar into a pint of tepid tap water. 20c ish. Sprinkle on the yeast and wait for it start working.

Once it's going, double the volume by adding some wine (1pt) and a little sugar from the 3kg.

Once it is going again, double the volume again (2pt) and proportionally add more more of the sugar from 3kg.
Repeat until all combined in the fermenter. Keep it at a steady temp for a few days and worry not.

This is recoverable. But we need to overcome the stabiliser. With a reversal.

I am guessing this is a 5 gallon kit.

Get some k1v1116 yeast.
Dissolve a couple of tablespoons of sugar into a pint of tepid tap water. 20c ish. Sprinkle on the yeast and wait for it start working.

Once it's going, double the volume by adding some wine (1pt) and a little sugar from the 3kg.

Once it is going again, double the volume again (2pt) and proportionally add more more of the sugar from 3kg.
Repeat until all combined in the fermenter. Keep it at a steady temp for a few days and worry not.
Thank you so much, I've just ordered the yeast for delivery tomorrow. Will I need some more stabiliser and finings A do you know? I was going to go with Chippy Tea's suggestion but getting contact details for SG wines seems impossible!

Will I need some more stabiliser and finings A do you know? I was going to go with Chippy Tea's suggestion but getting contact details for SG wines seems impossible!

Get some Kwik clear and Stabiliser (most HB Shops sell it) then in future you can make your own wine from supermarket juice which is much cheaper and just as good as the cheaper wine kits (see thread below)

If you use Kwik clear dont use the stuff that came with the kit.

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ne-how-to-guide-and-recipes.49462/post-456519

1709052939754.png
1709053003859.png

Back