Oh Dear God, Have i screwed it up?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abssm

Reaction score
Hi all,

this is my first ever attempt at brewing and i don't know if i've done something wrong

I have just made up the BetterBrew Czech Pilsner, using 500g of brewing sugar and 500g of Muntons Extra Light Spraymalt.

Anyway, its all in the bucket and before i added the yeast i took a sample for my hydrometer, threw in the yeast and the lid is now on and the brew is hopefully doing its thang.

My panic starts with my first hydrometer reading

According to the scale that came with it, it says that beer should start from a reading of 1.060. My reading starts at 1.072.

Is this ok? Have i done something wrong

Thanks in advance

Maybe not all of the sugar was not evenly dissolved/distributed which could account for the high reading. I don't know the kit but I assume you have stuck to the recipe more or less. Sure it should be ok.

As said, if you followed the instructions, you should be fine. Iirc, my reading when I did this kit (with same fermentables I think) had an sg of 1.048 or there abouts. So, it's likely it did not mix thoroughly, or the hydro reading is out. Try in normal room temp water, and it should read 1.000. If it was just not mixed thoroughly, then don't worry, as yeast will still find all sugars, just won't be able to calculate a proper abv reading...

That does sound silly high. Did you ensure that there were no bubbles stuck to the hyrdrometer?

Looking back my notes mine started at 1.043... :hmm:

Not properly mixed IMO. DME is notorious for needing a thorough mix.

I wouldn't worry about it, the yeast will find it :)

The thing I've learnt from being on here, well one of may things ;)

Does it smell good?
Does it taste good?
Is it bubbling within a reasonable time from the yeast going in?

OG / FG etc are good to know, but those ^ three things seem to be the most important aspects of brewing, after cleanliness that is :)

Well everything seems to be going OK.

I came down this morning to find it has grown a lovely frothy head and the lid on my fv is bulging outwards

There is no noticeable aroma unless i stick my nose close to the bucket lid, then it smells gorgeous.

I am not using an airlock as it seemed from reading posts on here and other forums that a lot of people found them unnecessary as the gas can escape through the lid anyway. Perhaps this is why my kitchen doesn't smell like a brewery?

Can't wait until next weekend now

Well this is into it's 10th day now.

It has been brewing at an average room temperature of 20 degrees c.

After the first 24 hours the head shrunk and left a scummy ring around the top of my FV and the lid stopped bulging

I drew a sample off on Thursday and the reading was down to 1016.

I took another sample this morning and the reading is now 1014.

The packet says it's ready at 1008.

I am going out today to get another hydrometer cos they arn't expensive and then i can double check the reading, especially after the high initial reading.

It smells absolutely delicious and tastes fantastic, though it is still very cloudy.

On the packet it came in it said to leave it fermenting for 14 days but there was then a sticker added saying the 14 days were a typo and it would be ready for bottling after 10.

I know not to bottle until i get a reading that is the same for 2 or more days running so not worried but like i said it is still very cloudy.

I am sure i read on here that it would clear whilst in the bin then when bottled it would cloud up then clear again. Is this correct?

Was trying to attach a pic but am not allowed yet.

How many posts do i have to make before i can put up new pics?

I'm not a 100% on what your question is but here is what I do.

Once primary fermentation is over I:

Rack into another bucket (my bottling bucket)
If its a pale coloured beer I cool it down to 10 degrees to drop the yeast out, possibly add finings if there's a chill haze.
After 2-3 day in the cold I bottle with carbonation drops (normal suger is fine for this but I would be tempted to rack again to avoid disturbing the yeast)
Then leave the bottles in the warm for a week then somewhere a little cooler.

Obviously this depends on your equipment if your bottling straight from the primary I would leave it till after the weekend before you bottle.

Hope that helps :thumb:

Edit: re read your post, in short yes your beer will clear in the bottle cold conditioning can help achieve this.

If you have a 2nd spare fermenting vessel you could rack it off into that,leaving a lot of sediment behind. Leave for another seven days then bottle, should be nice and reasonably clear then.
If not leave it for a total of 14 days in the fermenter, check the hydrometer readings aver last 3 days and bottle direct from there. Keep warm for 2 weeks after bottling, move to a cool place for a week and then leave as long as you can.

Ooogy Wawa! .....( apparently thats Zulu for cheers... :D )

ScottM said:
Not properly mixed IMO. DME is notorious for needing a thorough mix.

I wouldn't worry about it, the yeast will find it :)

Yeah, this! There's a set amount of sugar in there so readings aside it can't deviate like all grain can.

Thanks for your replies.

Do any of you recommend Beer Finings?

If used will they change the taste/ strength etc?

Ok i think it is time to bottle

This has been reading 1012 on the hydrometer since Sunday.

My new glass thermometer arrived today and i tried my Hydrometer at 20 degrees which it said it is calibrated at and it read 1003.

So my lager is in theory at 1009.

On the packet it says ready to bottle at 1008.

Should i carry on leaving it hoping it will drop down 1 point or do i just go for it now?

Is it likely to drop another point? Like i said it has been reading the same since Sunday

nah, theres too many factors in your FG reading and fermentation to judge it by a single point. in reality, good practice is what you want. take the reading after fermentation, if nothing changes on another reading 48 hrs later, it's ready to bottle. I'd suggest leaving it a few days after fermentation anyway, as the yeast still work to make a better beer :thumb:

OK, so this was bottled and left in my kitchen for a week and then shoved outside into our caravan where it has been for another week.

I know it is still a bit early but i tried a couple last night and was very happy with the taste.

The only thing that is bothering me is that there wasn't much fizz

When i opened the bottle there was a little bit of a pfft and when poured into the glass there were some bubbles at first.

When bottled into 500ml bottles i used one level teaspoon of brewing sugar.

Should i have put a heaped spoon in there or am i being a bit impatient and the fizz factor will get better with time?

abssm said:
OK, so this was bottled and left in my kitchen for a week and then shoved outside into our caravan where it has been for another week.

I know it is still a bit early but i tried a couple last night and was very happy with the taste.

The only thing that is bothering me is that there wasn't much fizz

When i opened the bottle there was a little bit of a pfft and when poured into the glass there were some bubbles at first.

When bottled into 500ml bottles i used one level teaspoon of brewing sugar.

Should i have put a heaped spoon in there or am i being a bit impatient and the fizz factor will get better with time?

I would have went with 2 weeks at around 20 degrees. Anything less than that and you will get less fizz.

Latest posts

Back