Old peculiar clone - Paul wicksteed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_city_of_homebrew

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Done my 3rd all grain batch yesterday, Paul wicksteeds old peculiar recipe. All went well, SG 1049. 18 hours of being in FV at 20 degrees there's been no movement? Fermenting in a coopers FV so no airlock so can't tell for sure but usually do see something by now; any suggestions/thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need to worry yet, it can take a good 36 hours or more sometimes to see activity. What yeast did you use?

Rally? Not had one take that long tbh. Nottingham yeast was used, rehydrated.

Ideally it shouldn't but it can do, especially with dry yeast. Admittedly Nottingham is usually pretty quick but I wouldn't worry just yet.

Unless the yeast was very old, I'd be surprised if there were any problems. I bet good money that everything is fine this morning.

I used to have long lag times, often 36 hours so I wouldn't worry. For future brews see if you're aerating the wort well enough, that was my problem and since I've put more effort in to it my brews kick off very quickly.

I used to have long lag times, often 36 hours so I wouldn't worry. For future brews see if you're aerating the wort well enough, that was my problem and since I've put more effort in to it my brews kick off very quickly.
I thought it was the other way round. The yeast concentrates on absorbing the oxygen until it runs out, then turns itself to the sugar. If you haven't aerated well, it will bubble very quick. Or?

Cheers guys. Checked it tonight and it looks like it's kicked off; small krausen formed

Latest posts

Back