Old wine taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
No, I am not referring to the French president's decision to sell off bottles from the palace. The oldest wine I ever tasted was a 60 year old Liebfraumilch, and don't laugh, because it was superb, and only cost £1 from a boot fair. The oldest of my own making was a tea wine which was so rough, half of it was stashed in an airing cupboard and forgotten about for 10 years. Apart from ageing, it underwent maderisation. Madeira wine originated from barrels of normal wine being shipped to India and left for a long time in warm conditions. Personally, I don't like the very sweet stuff. Dry versions are made, but not easy to come by. I asked a friend to get me some when he went to Madeira, but couldn't find any. I had a similar experience when I went to Anjou and asked for a bottle of their famous rose. They just stared back blankly.
Anyway, the tea wine had a sort of dry sherry taste and was very nice. Recently my neighbour gave me a bottle of 2004 Frascati superiore, which a store was selling off at £1 a bottle because nobody was prepared to buy it even at 2 for £5. It did not taste like Frascati. It was past its best and had not been stored under ideal conditions. Nevertheless, it was perfectly drinkable and reminded me of apple wine, but had this other flavour which I think could be caused by maderisation.
Today I came across a bottle of home made wine labelled 'Blackberry and Elderberry, 1999.' It was properly sealed and full and I happily paid £1 for it, which was gratefully accepted. I was especially interested in the elderberry element. When opened, it smelled pleasant, but when drank, there was this same maderised flavour. It had retained a light reddish brown colour but the green bottle had a coating of red on the inside, which also indicated that it had been stored upright, as the neck was clear. I think this may be tannin. The wine is dry, but very smooth and improves when exposed to the air. The tannin is still much in evidence and lingers on the palate. It is highly unlikely that is has been oaked.
Without a doubt, this is the best red country wine I have ever tasted. I have no idea of the original recipe, but I understand that the combination of the 2 fruits is a good one. There is an antique character to the bottle too. It's a period German type, possibly Blue Nun, with a white capped cork stopper, traces of the original label and a generic 'country wine' label, featuring elderberries, blackcurrants, rosehips, crab apples and sloes, slightly peeling off at one side.
Sadly just the 1 bottle, of which little remains, hic.

Your story reminds me of my first attempt at wine making. I made a Liebfraumilch from a 6 bottle kit. We are talking early 1970's, but as this was my first kit I was expecting an exceptional quality wine, made by me. Sadly after a few months of storage, in I have to say ideal conditions, (hotel wine cellar), the result was not as expected. So this wine was left to gather dust and was forgotten about for about 10 years. On rediscovering this wine I just had to give it a try. The colour was fine and no cork problems. But sadly it was an excellent Liebfraumilch vinegar. :lol: :lol: So age doesn't always improve a ropey wine.

How sad. I've had a few problems with my wines, but never acetification. I remember buying a German white in a German local shop. The corkscrew failed to remove the cork. We used a drill to get access to the wine. It was foul!

Back