On course? Salvageable? Help please...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForeverJack

Reaction score
First time brewer, brewing Coopers wheat beer to 23l. Fermenting 13 days now between 18 and 22 C. Original gravity at around 1.040. Measured after 1 week, dropped to 1.020. Measured again today, may have slightly dropped to 1.018ish. Is this on course? Seems slow or am I just impatient? Do I need to do anything to fix this?

Your temperatures sound about right and the SG is dropping (all be it slowly), I think you need to hold your nerve and observe for the next couple of days. Does it give any indication on the tin/documentation about suggested final gravity for this kit?

My advice still stands, hold your nerve and give it a day or 2.

You will want to start to keep a brewing diary of what you have brewed and how the brew is going. Its very useful to look back, especially if you really liked a brew and you want to do it again.

LeithR said:
My advice still stands, hold your nerve and give it a day or 2.

You will want to start to keep a brewing diary of what you have brewed and how the brew is going. Its very useful to look back, especially if you really liked a brew and you want to do it again.

+1 - I just keep a spreadsheet on my computer and update it, only takes a few seconds.

Thank you both and will do. You wouldn't bin it yet then? Really want this to work. Tasted it earlier too, tasted like a very watery Hoegaarden.

What did you add? If you added ordinary sugar that could explain the watery taste. (It will be better once bottled and conditioned, anyway.)

Don't chuck anything unless its been sat in a bottle at least a year if not more, I threw about 15 pints away from an early attempt then found a single bottle 6months later and it was excellent!

Give it plenty of time to ferment, much longer than the instructions say, and then plenty of time in the bottle.

Thanks guys, will leave it a while and then bottle it and see. Added brew enhancer 1 and some dry malt extract. Any value in stiring or adding more yeast? Will the taste develop then? Get stronger and lose the wateriness?

You can stir it gently but don't beat it until you get a froth on top. Oxygen will damage the yeast once it is in the fermentation phase. The only time you need oxygen in the brew is initially before you pitch the yeast, the oxygen is required at that stage to enable the yeast to grow to be able to ferment the brew size.

Brew enhancer and/or DME is ok, they will increase the potential alcohol level. Brew enhancer is just a mixture of sugar and DME so not particularly useful in this situation. I wouldn't add any more yeast either. DME will also add some non-fermentables which should improve the flavour.

Latest posts

Back