On the rocks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brews-brothers

Reaction score
I have seen this kit in the HB shop for a while and no one has come back with any reviews so thought I would give it a go.

I did strawberry magnum cider a couple of years ago and it was so discusting I gave most of it away, the rest went down the sink.
I am hoping this kit will be a lot better.

I have the Raspberry and Lime flavour.
I suppose I am not expecting Kopperberg as that is my favourite but hoping for something near to that.

It started off fairly easy enough, just add 1.3kilo of sugar and water up to 5gallons, then sprinkle on the yeast.

Its been 2 days and it has 2" thick yeast on the top.
It smells good which is a positive in my eyes. (the magnum at this stage smelled like rotten eggs)

I am not rushing it at all, keeping it a steady room temperature.

The kit says to ferment for 5 days, if its not done I am prepared to wait longer.

Only thing in the instructions I am not sure about (just cos I have never done it this way before) is...
adding 5oz of sugar to the finished cider and stir until disolved then bottle.
With beer I usually add a half teaspoon of sugar to a pint actually into the bottle.

brews-brothers said:
I suppose I am not expecting Kopperberg as that is my favourite but hoping for something near to that.

I cracked a (still very young) bottle of the pear one on the weekend. It's very kopparberg-esque. I think you'll be pleased.

brews-brothers said:
The kit says to ferment for 5 days, if its not done I am prepared to wait longer.

Mine was in FV for a fortnight. Give it plenty of time. :thumb:

brews-brothers said:
Only thing in the instructions I am not sure about (just cos I have never done it this way before) is...
adding 5oz of sugar to the finished cider and stir until disolved then bottle.
With beer I usually add a half teaspoon of sugar to a pint actually into the bottle.

Just go with your normal bottling technique. I'd suggest a full teaspoon for 500ml/pint to get a really good fizz.

Same, something like this would be great over ice in the summer and I'm completely off cider kits until someone can recommend a good un!

Sounds good! :cool:
I may look into getting one of these as SWMBO is a fan of the kopparberg

Hi all, i have done both the pear and the raspberry & lime.The pear was very sweet to start with but after 2 weeks was very nice.The rasp & lime is like drinking vimto, which is dangerous as it came out at nearly 6.5%. Roll on the sunshine !

Well I will let you all know the verdict in a few weeks time.

Its still smelling and looking good. :thumb:

Also if it is nice I would like to try the Blueberry one.

Its day 5 today and although the cider is looking good, it smells eggy again, just like the Magners one, however not as strong. I am hoping this fades.

The yeast has dropped to the bottom and the bubbles have almost stopped, I will leave it another few days before racking it and adding the flavour.

Day 6 and its completely flat, no bubbles coming up at all.

It is such an easy kit to make and very precise to the instructions.

So as it was way below 1000FG and was showing no sign of further fermenting I decided to bottle.

Racked it off into a clean FV (it tastes great at this stage)
Added the flavour, gave it a good stir then left it to settle whilst I sterilised the bottles.

Bottles ready, half a teaspoon of sugar to each one the filled with the lovely pink cider.

Taste at this stage mmmmmmmmm
Its as near to kopparberg as it gets!

Instructions suggest leaving it for 5 days at 21 degree C. Then put it somewhere cool to clear.
I really cannot wait to drink it :)

Cider is looking good
The bottles have lots of pressure so it will be lovely and fizzy.
Also it is almost clear.
A couple more days at room temp then I am going to cool them, I reckon they will be clear enough to start drinking real soon.

What a simple, quick kit to make.
Defiantely doing it again!

Latest posts

Back