Opening brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ally_sives

Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys reckon it would take to start up and organise a new brewery. Even if it was on a microbrew level. Should add that I'm not going to I'm just curious haha!

I've done some research.

there's quite a bit of paperwork.

HM customs & revenue
Local authority
and a.n. other I can't recall.

Selling beer requires a chunk of paperwork.

giving it away or accepting a voluntary donation = less or no paperwork.

what's most important though is a good portfolio of recipes. So build up a good stock for your own use and your brewery if you want to take it further.

A colleague of mine in the fire service recently retired and was quite involved in brewing beer on a commercial basis. I don't have any detailed info other than he had several partners. From what I understand they brewed good beer and had an increasing market of bottled beer, supplying the likes of Marks & Spencer and had a growing reputation in West Yorkshire. I wish I had discussed it with him more than I did, in the interest of brewing good beer of course.....

Of course Redron :-D

Yeah I thought it might involve some paperwork. Was thinking it would just be applying to make alcohol for commerical selling.

I think that giving it away or charitable donation would still involve being HMRC registered. But registering is not a lot of paperwork, and the record keeping,monthly form filling and payment is not the end of the world.
Env Health is straightforward as whilst a foodstuff, it is regarded as low risk, (how much time is spent on keeping the brewstuff clean and sanitised just to make sure that the product is drinkable)

There have been a few threads from members on this subject, I cannot remember one that ended with the member posting he had cleared all the hurdles and was selling his homebrew.

I think the main reason people don't progress into actually doing it is not the paperwork or the practicalities of setting up a micro brewery, it's when they do a quick calculation as to how much beer they have to make a week to even make minimum wage and then the realisation that although brewing it won't be so bad, how do you then go out and sell that much beer? And if you have a partner to do that side of things, you then have to make and sell twice as much.

Yeah I think wage wise it would be hard. I think it would have to start as a side project and get a decent foundation for the brewery and get word of the product out there etc.

From what i've read on HRMC site about this, you basically will be paying the duty up front as they look settlement on a monthly basis. By the time landlords get invoiced and pay you for your products you could end up being out 3 or 4 months in duty with no income back in, daunting thought.

Have a read of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/jul/21/how-to-start-own-brewery

Making great beer is not all that difficult. Anyone can do it. More often than not, beer is like liquid bread and best consumed fresh. The biggest challenge for a commercial brewery is getting fresh beer to the consumer. Good home brewers have the best beer on tap, IMO. It's one of the main reasons I brew myself. There seems to be an ever increasing number of home brewers who want to be the next 'Brew Dog'. That's great. But the reality is most new 'craft' breweries go bust very quickly. Brew Dog could have gone very quickly. But some impeccable timing, a great deal of luck and a level of risk taking most would shy away from played to their advantage. Becoming a success at the commercial level involves much more than brewing beer. It's a tough, serious business that rarely gets glamorous. Certainly not as rewarding and glamorous as brewing your own :lol:

I think the main reason people don't progress into actually doing it is not the paperwork or the practicalities of setting up a micro brewery, it's when they do a quick calculation as to how much beer they have to make a week to even make minimum wage and then the realisation that although brewing it won't be so bad, how do you then go out and sell that much beer? And if you have a partner to do that side of things, you then have to make and sell twice as much.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I agree, too. After selling up in the UK, I had some serious dosh that was ready to be invested in this very game, with a business partner prepared to match my wedge. After a thorough analysis, helped by ex colleagues who were pro market analysts, we walked away laughing. We agreed that we would have gone ahead... with someone else's money :lol:

I agree, too. After selling up in the UK, I had some serious dosh that was ready to be invested in this very game, with a business partner prepared to match my wedge. After a thorough analysis, helped by ex colleagues who were pro market analysts, we walked away laughing. We agreed that we would have gone ahead... with someone else's money :lol:
How much of your budget was allocated to bow ties, braces and beard trimming accessories?!!

How much is a pint in Norway these days? Went to Kristiansands in the mid-80's and almost had to get a mortgage for a night on the town. Then went to Bodo some years later thinking I was prepared - had to re-mortgage!!

How much is a pint in Norway these days? Went to Kristiansands in the mid-80's and almost had to get a mortgage for a night on the town. Then went to Bodo some years later thinking I was prepared - had to re-mortgage!!

Not sure, I brew my own. It's about a tenner for a Guinness at Oslo airport. If I buy beer these days, it's in Sweden on a shopping trip :lol:

Latest posts

Back