Ordered wrong malt ratios, what can I brew with it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awfers

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well, I screwed up when ordering my malt (the malts are pre-mixed), so instead of the ingredients for my normal Weissbier, I've got:

60% Pilsner malt
30% wheat malt
10% Caramunich Typ 1

So, I'm wondering what I could do with that, what sort of beer to make? It's not going to make a Weissbier, more like a cloudy brown-ish ale or lager.

Maybe a cloudy IPA ?

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Thanks!

It'll still make a weissbeir. Just a slightly darker one. I'm sure it would still taste nice. Maybe half-way to a dunkelweiss.

Thanks. It was the Wheat and Pils malts I inversed, the Typ1 is the same as I always use. I am liking the idea of a Saison, I've never made one, now just need to find a recipe !

Thanks. It was the Wheat and Pils malts I inversed, the Typ1 is the same as I always use. I am liking the idea of a Saison, I've never made one, now just need to find a recipe !
In which it'll make a slightly-less-wheaty weissbier. My recipe (and a fair few of them) are a simple 50% split between pilsner and wheat malt. A lot of the traditonal weissbier flavour comes from the yeast.

Hi All,

Well, I screwed up when ordering my malt (the malts are pre-mixed), so instead of the ingredients for my normal Weissbier, I've got:

60% Pilsner malt
30% wheat malt
10% Caramunich Typ 1

So, I'm wondering what I could do with that, what sort of beer to make? It's not going to make a Weissbier, more like a cloudy brown-ish ale or lager.

Maybe a cloudy IPA ?

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Thanks!
Why do you think it will be brown? 10% Caramunich will make it golden/amber but it still should be on the lighter side. I would also use it as is and call it a wheat beer...

I'd do a saison. Your ratios look about the same as the Grisette I made a few weeks ago. Apart from the caramunich that is but I doubt that would affect it much.

I second just brew it and see what you get. The grain mixture is not a bad one and with a German style yeast and hops should make something in that sector

For an authentic weissbier you’re better off with 60% wheat 40% Pilsner, no caramunich is needed. I’d brew something else like the saison suggested rather than a weissbier with this grain bill.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but what exactly is a saison?
A rustic, dry and refreshing beer of Belgian/French origin.

A saison should be:

• pale in color (up to dark amber)
  • light in alcohol
  • well-attenuated and/or dry
  • “rustic,” i.e., not too clean—not easy to define, but important to distinguish it from other styles
  • quite bitter or tart/sour
  • spicy, or not
  • without fruit
  • refreshing and balanced

A rustic, dry and refreshing beer of Belgian/French origin.

A saison should be:

• pale in color (up to dark amber)
  • light in alcohol
  • well-attenuated and/or dry
  • “rustic,” i.e., not too clean—not easy to define, but important to distinguish it from other styles
  • quite bitter or tart/sour
  • spicy, or not
  • without fruit
  • refreshing and balanced
Thanks for that.

For an authentic weissbier you’re better off with 60% wheat 40% Pilsner, no caramunich is needed. I’d brew something else like the saison suggested rather than a weissbier with this grain bill.
From Paulaner's website for their Weiss. I've just brewed this as my first all grain . Has turned out rather good, similar to the real thing. I am exceptionally chuffed with my first attempt at all grain :)
IngredientsWater, malted wheat, malted barley, yeast, hops
Hop varietiesHerkules
Malt varietiesLight wheat malt, dark wheat malt, Pilsner malt (light barley malt), Munich malt (dark barley malt)

From Paulaner's website for their Weiss. I've just brewed this as my first all grain . Has turned out rather good, similar to the real thing. I am exceptionally chuffed with my first attempt at all grain :)
IngredientsWater, malted wheat, malted barley, yeast, hops
Hop varietiesHerkules
Malt varietiesLight wheat malt, dark wheat malt, Pilsner malt (light barley malt), Munich malt (dark barley malt)
Yes like I said, Caramunich is not required. Actually a better malt bill is simple Pilsner and wheat and let the yeast shine through. Paulaner is a pretty weak example, typical mass produced beer.

Back