Over-carbed Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
I made the Better Brew Czech Pilsner kit a couple of months ago. It is now very drinkable, remarkably very authentic Pilsner taste considering it uses an ale yeast.
The problem I have is that I was a bit over keen with the batch priming sugar (I also forgot to note down how much sugar I used in my brew log). The result is that even when fully chilled, the bottles start to slowly erupt with froth 10 seconds after opening and just keep on going....!
I can only pour about 300ml into a pint glass and it has a 4 inch head. Of course the sediment in the bottle gets churned up if I try a second pour.:sad:
Is there anything I can do at this stage to avoid the big froth up?

You could loosen the caps very slightly and then re-cap when the hissing stops.

Get yourself a 1ltr glass jug from wilko@£2 and pour into this before pouring into your glass when its settled. I did this with a hoppy copper brew which was very lively and worked a treat.

I have done this more than once! As I like a highly carbonated lager (in particular).

Yes, overchilling helps, as does loosening the cap a little the day before. I have also opened swiftly and poured swiftly into a jug.

It's all learning!

Cheers

MArtin

Latest posts

Back