Oxidisation advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acreid

Reaction score
Since starting partial mash brews earlier this year all four of them have been very cloudy. They have tasted great and my punk ipa passed the test from some mates who are brewdog connoisseurs. I thought the issue was down to protein in the mash so for the last brew I added half a protafloc tablet.
Once bottled I checked them after a week and you could see clearly through the plastic pet bottle so I thought all was good, but after another week carbonating and two weeks conditioning they have turned out that murky cloudy way again.

the only thing I can think I am doing wrong is not filling the bottles all the way to the top when using the bottle wand, is that where I am going wrong?
090A127A-1078-4B55-93FA-85CFD8B4604A.jpeg

I use to leave about an inch at the top, I now leave about a quarter of an inch, it certainly helps, oh, and don't shake up the bottle either.............

@acreid
I don't think its anything to do with how you fill your bottles.
I use PET bottles (admittedly with the air squeezed out), do partial mash beers, use protofloc tabs and don't have any haze problems.
Other members use glass (as do I) and you cant fill them right to the top and squeeze the air out and beers still turn out clear. I often fill half a bottle if at the end of filling when I cant fill a whole one and they still clear, and they go first as my taster
So I think its more likely something you are doing earlier on.
It could possibly be a starch haze if you aren't mashing properly or a protein haze. Even overload with hops
If you share more of your brewing process, including ingredients, members might be able to help better.
And is your beer cloudy if chilled but clears when warm?

Last edited:
@terrym The beer is cloudy when both warm and chilled. The reason I think it’s a problem with my bottling process, is that after one week in the bottle they are still clear as day and can literally see through them.

@terrym The beer is cloudy when both warm and chilled. The reason I think it’s a problem with my bottling process, is that after one week in the bottle they are still clear as day and can literally see through them.
I can't offer any more then. asad1
Beers that cloud up during conditioning after being initially clear are out of my experience zone for sure.

What yeast have you used as it may help shed some light on it that may prompt a further answer

Latest posts

Back