Packaging dilemma

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atw

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently have 19 litres of golden ale which has been in primary for 3 days. It's due to be drunk on a camping trip in the middle of July, in 10 weeks time. I'm planning to transport it in a 5L minikeg and a 10L polypin - the polypin is a nice thick one like this.

The minikeg is no problem. For the pin, I was thinking of racking to it once fermentation has finished, closing it up until T minus 3 weeks, then adding some priming sugar. After a couple of weeks it should be carbonated, and then ready to drink a week later. However, will the beer be OK in the pin for that long, or it will be horribly oxidised?

Any thought greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Andrew

Why the time before carbonating? I would carbonate it and just drink the mini first to give the poly chance to settle once you’re there. It’ll have proper conditioning time then too.

Thanks both. I was concerned that the pin wouldn't hold carbonation for that long - ie 7 weeks - hence the delay before priming.

That doesnt look like it will hold pressure at all! Even if it did, since it is collapsable as soon as you remove any beer it will just go flat as the co2 will come out of solution and keep the bag at full size, then once no pressure left it will start collapsing. I dont think they are designed for carbonated drinks (despite the title saying it is suited to beer).

The above posts about the polys are right; they’re not exactly intended for carbonated beers and more for the real ale. They can be used to condition in though and the beer will keep fine once conditioned in them as long as it’s not intended to be used for laying the beer down. It just starts oxidising from the moment you draw any off and needs to be drunk within a few days.

The above posts about the polys are right; they’re not exactly intended for carbonated beers and more for the real ale. They can be used to condition in though and the beer will keep fine once conditioned in them as long as it’s not intended to be used for laying the beer down. It just starts oxidising from the moment you draw any off and needs to be drunk within a few days.
It only significantly oxidises the beer if air is allowed to glug back in, but they tend to collapse rather than let in air.
When they are below half full you need to put pressure on the top with a heavy book or something to help stop air glugging back.
One thing I have read is they are a bit permeable so air does seep in through the plastic, but they are good for 1 month even when opened.

We've used polypins for serving at a village fete. The brewery fills them with ale in the morning and we serve to thirsty villagers in the afternoon. They are not meant for storage beyond a day or so.

We've used polypins for serving at a village fete. The brewery fills them with ale in the morning and we serve to thirsty villagers in the afternoon. They are not meant for storage beyond a day or so.

Have you ever personally stored beer in them for longer than a day?
I have bought beer from a brewery in them, stored and drank good beer over 3 to 4 weeks.
Much longer than it could ever last in a cask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever personally stored beer in them for longer than a day?
I have bought beer from a brewery in them, stored and drank good beer over 3 to 4 weeks.
Much longer than it could ever last in a cask.
Not personally, no. When we talked to the guy in the brewery about different methods of getting their draft beer for the event he said that the pins would be good for 'a few days'.

Latest posts

Back