Pale ale brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_city_of_homebrew

Reaction score
Well, driving home this evening I thought about the brew I need to do tomorrow, but I have a lot on. Then I thought "who says you can't brew in the evening?"

So here I am. Doughed in about 15 minutes ago, at 66 C.

Recipe is as follows:

4.50 kg - Pale Malt (2 Row) UK
0.25 kg - Corn, Flaked
0.10 kg - Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.05 kg - Roasted Barley

125g east Kent goldings (10g of which is dry hopped)
25g norther brewer

First pale ale I've done, recipe received some good reviews, so hoping for a nice one.

Well, driving home this evening I thought about the brew I need to do tomorrow, but I have a lot on. Then I thought "who says you can't brew in the evening?"

Recipe is as follows:

0.25 kg - Corn, Flaked
0.05 kg - Roasted Barley

25g norther brewer

First pale ale I've done, recipe received some good reviews, so hoping for a nice one.

Yeh, I have done stuff like this before, be prepared for a long night, I have seen how planned times slide by & by the end you are 3 hours late, have fun and be sure you will and let us know how the brew turns out.

Recipe is as follows:

0.25 kg - Corn, Flaked
0.05 kg - Roasted Barley

25g norther brewer

125g of EKG, wow

its nice to see flaked maize in the recipe...I think it adds a subtle flavour that works well in pale ales (even though the likes of beersmith say it's neutral on flavour).

its nice to see flaked maize in the recipe...I think it adds a subtle flavour that works well in pale ales (even though the likes of beersmith say it's neutral on flavour).

Not sure I've used it before, possibly in the stout I did at the beginning of the year?

Wort looks darker than I thought it would be, too much roast? We'll see.

Just bringing up to the boil.

15 mins of the boil left, then steeping 10g of EKG. Cooled down to 21 and pitching. Then it'll be off into the FC for 5 days, off into a secondary for 7 days. Probably leave it for a little long in secondary

Disappointed with this one!

Aimed for 20l @ 1056, actually yielded 16L @ 1068. Not sure where I went wrong with this...

You could but your og will be lower again and maybe a thinner, dryer tasting beer in the end. I know some people do maxi biab which is basically what you're suggesting.

Not done it myself, by the way. Usually I'd just say "go for it and tell us how it turns out." 😝

Yes, it's called 'liquor back'.
All you've done is boil off water, so add it back and get your target number back on track.
Find a calculator or slowly add liquor back to the wort until you hit your figures.

Didn't do it in the end, just put it in the fermentation fridge and left it to roll. Presuming I'll be left with a stronger, bigger tasting beer?

Crickey, sit before consuming so you don't fall down.

Hope it's a tasty brew for you.

Latest posts

Back