Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Doing an English pale ale in the morning and your thoughts would be appreciated, i have carramber carrared special w crystal medium and light, i thought i would keep it simple
b]Pale ale [/b]
Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.200
Total Hops (g): 88.80
Original Gravity (OG): 1.055 (°P): 13.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.40 %
Colour (SRM): 7.6 (EBC): 15.0
Bitterness (IBU): 39.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pale Ale Malt (96.15%)
0.200 kg Crystal 60 (3.85%)

Hop Bill
----------------
30.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
29.4 g East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
29.4 g First Gold Pellet (7.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Sorry can’t help as it’s above me
But I’m always put to shame when someone details 29.4 grams of hops compared to my measurements, a handful here and 80 or so grams there

Looks ok to me. Personally I'd not bother with the crystal and up the hop additions a bit, but I do like very bitter pale ales.

Looks good to me. Personally, I like a little crystal in a pale, particularly if using a yeast as neutral/dry as Nottingham.

Is there a reason your late hop additions are 15mins and 10mins? I know it’s not exactly a faff to add them like that, but just wondered if there was a reason not to just add both the EKG and FG at 10 or 15.

Thumbs up from me but I'd echo the suggestion to just put the EKG and FG in together at 10. Should be a cracking brew.

I like the look of it, for me I would bump the Challenger to 35 g, similar to foxbat add the EKG & FG together at 15 rather than 10 and whirfloc at 10 mins.

Looks good to me. I'm in the middle of a similar brew myself - though no crystal in mine, I'm with @mclaughlinj on this, 5 minutes hops will make not a hape'orth of difference, so bung em (Goldings and First Gold) in together. sounds yummy to me. I'm using about the same quantities and Jester for my late hops at 15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back