Parti-Gyle Brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@
Yeah, you should get good efficiency on a brew like this because you got 37 L of beer from the 7 kg. The efficiency hit is when you only brew 23 L so the sparge is really small. Guess your mash was about 22 L, so after draining the 12 L for the barleywine you essentially sparged with 20 L as I'm guessing you had about 30L pre-boil for the 27L of stout?

Am I reading it right? You mashed and drew off 12 L of first runnings, then added 12L back in as an underlet, the I presume you left that for a while then lifted the grain and sparged?

What were your pre-boil SGs and volumes if you have them? Also do you know the stout SG before you added the sugar and DME? I'll probably just bite the bullet and do one of these "blind" and see what happens but extra data for what to expect always helps. It's why I tend to take and SG of the mash before sparging too.

Dead right on the methodology. After the underletting, I gave it a good stir and then re-circulated for quite a few minutes, as I had issues around this point on the previous Parti-Gyle.

The Stout might have been about 1.040 without the DME and sugar. Pre-boils I don't know as it is not my practice to take them, but boil-off is usually around 3L I think, so I would estimate the stout at 1.055 pre boil, if that helps. The BW wort got some stuff added from re-soaking the dark grains, I think, so the only real fact is the hydrometer reading at the end.

1.040 sounds pretty good for the Stout and it would have been fine, I suppose. I added the DME mainly because my efficiencies first time around were pants at 66%.

Right, that would put the barleywine around 1.058 including the extra from the dark grains and 1.040 ish is where I'd have expected a second runnings beer. Thanks for the info, I may try a partigyle soon, a Maibock / pale ale could work well and I've been thinking about brewing a maibock for a while. Or I could go whole hog and brew a massive barleywine to put one of my kveik strains to the test.

I'm setting up my old 50L kit at my wife's farm as part of a fermentation shed, I'm definitely gonna revisit partigyle brewing. I would like to make a strong beer/weaker version but also experiment around with adding grains post first run off. Maybe try something like an imperial IPA and amber ale by adding amber malt. Could take it one further and add chocolate malt for the 3rd run off.

I'm setting up my old 50L kit at my wife's farm as part of a fermentation shed, I'm definitely gonna revisit partigyle brewing. I would like to make a strong beer/weaker version but also experiment around with adding grains post first run off. Maybe try something like an imperial IPA and amber ale by adding amber malt. Could take it one further and add chocolate malt for the 3rd run off.

Good idea - should work well.
I think Amber malt requires mashing and that would be a slight complication as it is not just a "capping" to the first mash. It could be mashed separately, stove-top style, of course, and 500g would only need around 1.5L of water, so not a big pot, really.
Not ever thought about a third runnings. Historically, the literature suggests that the attraction of this was that the boiling made the resulting, slightly weak beer, safer than the water.

Good idea - should work well.
I think Amber malt requires mashing and that would be a slight complication as it is not just a "capping" to the first mash. It could be mashed separately, stove-top style, of course, and 500g would only need around 1.5L of water, so not a big pot, really.
Not ever thought about a third runnings. Historically, the literature suggests that the attraction of this was that the boiling made the resulting, slightly weak beer, safer than the water.
I think I got over excited at this thought and forgot about actually mashing the grains clapa

My mash tun is ~50 litres, I reckon if I fill it I could get 3x 18 litre batches out of it. My mistake last time was not sparging enough and having 2 strong beers.

I went to put my brewery together yesterday but a lot more work than I realised needs to be done I anticipated. A lot of it needs to be cleaned properly, need to wire in some plugs, plug holes in the kettle where I've taken out a tap, check for leaks etc. Sadly it will be a while before I can get round to brewing, let alone a partigyle brew.

Back