Paying for French / German Ebay Pots Paranoia

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnny_dove said:
Sounds low. Just simmering? Just 2,7 litres/hour=4 litres in 90 minutes or 4 litres / hour = 6 litres. My guesstimate was 8 litres...Same as this tool: http://sigginet.info/brewing/tools/boil-off-calculator/

I drop back to one element for a slow rolling boil once the wort achieves a boil on the two elements. I lose more if I leave both elements on, but have to add water to reduce the OG if I do this as I overshoot and I'm not into brewing super strength yet, I like my beer to be surviveable ;) :)

Would these be suitable for boiling up the mash and using to "d word"?

Edited by calumscott, the D Word shalt not be discussed here.

mcmental said:
Would these be suitable for boiling up the mash and using to "d word"?

Edited by calumscott, the D Word shalt not be discussed here.

They are great for mashing in and boiling the wort. Cheap, durable, easy enough to put holes in for taps and the like and Bergland are great to deal with.

As for anything else... Not on this forum please, it's illegal in the UK without a licence and you won't get one no matter how hard you try. :nono:

No worries, I think I made the same mistake when I first joined! :lol:

Seriously great pots from a really great company. Personally I wouldn't look elsewhere. :thumb:

calumscott said:
So long as the weld around the base is sound (no bad pitting, rust, etc)
Sorry for a bit of a hijack gents but just did a little test boil in my new 70L Bergland pot tonight and straight away noticed a ring of rust about an inch up from the bottom. :doh:

Straight away went at it with a magnet to check it was 304. All good on the sides and base but the weld between them looks well suspect. dunno what they've used on this but it's rusting and holding this magnet up!

Think my missus said she bought it from an outfit called 'Homebrew Builder' on the bay but whoever the intermediary was, it's still a Bergland. Am I sending this back??

I'd certainly get in touch with the supplier.

It is not unknown for fabricators to make errors in the selection of welding rods, it's rare, but it does happen.

Your contract is with the vendor, not the manufacturer, so contact the vendor first and send them the photos.

Get in touch with HBB aka user mr lard, he'll sort you out :thumb:
You may 'get away' with scrubbing the area down (getting rid of the rust) and allowing the area to re oxidise over a period of 48 hours or so, I've done this in the past on the weld area. Make HBB aware of the problem anyway JIC it doesn't work or JIC he may want to replace it straight away.
The Nordic/Bergland pots are cheap and generally good, but it's not unusual for this to happen. I have a pot which has an imperfection in the base and it rusts too. If you're keeping your pots in the garage etc always store them upside down as with fluctuation in temps you get condensation running down the sides and underneath and this can cause rusting.
I've also had pots in the past with pin prick holes in the weld joints which are packed with grease and on 1st boil the grease melts and they leak.
They're cracking value for money but every now and then a dud gets through, the pots really need checking properly by who ever converts them, even then one may get through, just bad luck.

Latest posts

Back