Pea wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatbrewer

Regular.
Reaction score
Pushing the trolly around Aldi, my mind wanders..

Couldnt find anything interesting in the useless houshold items section. Didnt need a girls riding hat or even a log splitter this week.

Then I saw the frozen peas! They are sweet and tasty. They are free from preservatives. They have got to be worth a go.

Havnt they?

Pea pod wine was the best clear wine I have ever made, more so because it was my peas from the allotment and the pods were seen as a waste product.
However I never tried to make wines from peas themselves.

anyone remember watching the good life, Margo got tiddley on pea pod wine, that gave me the inspiration to do it.

Realising I would probably never have 4lbs of peapods, I also wondered about just using peas.

They have a reasonable amount of sugar, and I like the taste...
They also have a fair amount of protein, which may be a problem.
So pectolase? Or some other enzyme? Or deal with it some other way?
The version of sugar they have may need amylase, it may be there as starch...

I also wondered about sprouting, malting, and roasting them to make an ale.

Bag of Parsnips from Aldi are cheaper than a bag of peas as are carrots.
Mind you, A good pair of Jogging Bottom Merlot pants look quite good!
Never done peas, so could not say...........

Peas are 5% protein, roughly a third the amount you get in wheat (14%) half what you get in barley (10%) and two-thirds what you get in rice (7%) so I doubt the protein will be an issue. Adding amylase sounds like a good idea though, oldbloke, as does pea ale (Peale?). Let me know how you get on!

Pea pod was one of my best wines back in the early 80's. Glut of garden pea's that year, so lots of shelling and freezing going on, so I thought lots of pods checked my bible (C.J.J. Berry's book) and used that recipe.
But pea wine, no never made it or even heard of it. Made some from parsnips this year, maturing at the mo, be ready for xmas.

Of course, another question is: fresh peas? frozen peas? tinned peas? dried peas?

Fresh peas if they're straight out of the garden. Otherwise, use frozen - they're generally blanched and frozen with hours of being picked.

I finally got around to doing this and it is going like a steam train.

1kg frozen peas
1 litre apple juice
800g sugar
cup of strong tea
pectalase, amylase, citric acid nutrient and yeast.

wtUUxR5.jpg

Seriously?
Did you mash the peas up at all?
I'm not sure that's enough sugar.
No raisins?
I really wanna know how this one goes!

Sorry to go off topic OP, but I'm assuming OP is your favourite brew? It is mine :cheers:
Have you ever tried or found a beer kit which emulates it? I was pondering doing some, but was stopped by the fact it would never be as good as the hallowed Old Peculier. I'm lucky in that i'm close enough to N.Yorks to be able to have the occasional one fresh from the pump - even from the brewery bar once or twice, although it's a bit of a trek up there the beer is devine.
It doesn't travel or bottle well IMO, the latter even less so, infact I won't drink it.

Old Peculier is a fantastic pint I reckon. My Missus has been calling me this for years and it sort of stuck. I use it on all the forums I visit.

I doubt any kit could ever come close but I guess there must be an AG recipe out there somewhere. I am going into AG soon so it is one I shall look out for.

If you haven't already, a visit to the brewery and more importantly the on-site pub is a must. The only problem with it is you'll never drink a better pint ever again!
Can you get it on draught down there?

<<Wanders off to find out what AG means...>>

Back