pectalose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott78

Reaction score
evenin all, my first lot of hard cider have fermented out and has been racked into new FV under airlock for winter storage. i have 1gal in a DJ and it looks good but has a haze. would 1tsp/gal of pectalose fully clear the cider and has it any other effect other than visual?.
thanks scott

Traditional cider (not to be confused with the vinegary 'scrumpy'), is cloudy due to pectin. People are prepared to pay a high premium for cloudy apple juice rather than the clear cheap stuff you get in tetra packs.
You can add pectolase after the event, though normally it's added prior to fermentation as a preventative measure, but if it tastes OK, drink it. Or, either keep it cool and hope the haze will clear in time. Most brews improve in time anyway. Or use finings, but be aware that finings that include gelatine will certainly take some of the bite (tannin, not alcohol) out of the stuff.
If this works, compare results with the taste of the cloudy version - you may prefer it.

As tony says you can add pectin after fermentation but if you do it has been suggested that you double the dosage to 2 tsp per gallon.

graysalchemy said:
As tony says you can add pectin after fermentation but if you do it has been suggested that you double the dosage to 2 tsp per gallon.
No, you add pectolase to get rid of pectin hazes, but otherwise quite as you said.

However, I'm not much of a cider drinker but a haze (or downright murky) wouldn't bother me.

Moley said:
graysalchemy said:
No, you add pectolase to get rid of pectin hazes, but otherwise quite as you said.

However, I'm not much of a cider drinker but a haze (or downright murky) wouldn't bother me.

Good job I knew what I meant :lol: quite right though mis information and all that.

thanks for the info, i dont mind the hazy myself so will keep the bulk of it cloudy, but i will try it on a dj i wanted to bottle and fizz up.

scott

tonyhibbett said:
Or, either keep it cool and hope the haze will clear in time. Most brews improve in time anyway. Or use finings, but be aware that finings that include gelatine will certainly take some of the bite (tannin, not alcohol) out of the stuff.
As far as I'm aware a pectin haze does not clear with time, nor do I think finings will be any advantage.
You really do need to use a pectin enzyme.

Latest posts

Back