PH after fermentation 3.6. Is it infected?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miro

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing my second batch, so I am quite a beginner and I have noticed that after fermentation is done the PH is not right – PH 3.6. As far as I know, it should be somewhere around 4.2. I did not take a reading of the wort PH before fermentation, but the tap water that was used was about 7.9.

The first batch is bottled and resting for 2 weeks now, but I do worry about low PH. I have opened up one bottle for tasting, and it is still hazy and a bit of sour taste.

Is it contaminated or wild yeast grow? Potentially, could it be something with water PH at the beginning?

Thanks guys.

Question needs to be a bit more concise, what did you do after measuring your pH? Did you measure the pH of your sparge water? Did you make a temperature adjustment? Is it a sour beer?
The bottle could be contaminated, but most probably not by wild yeast, I think you would have had a gusher had wild yeast been chomping away on the remaining sugar.

Last edited:
Is the question is my beer infected? I think we could get lost in pH numbers etc and miss the op.

When you say 'sour' do you mean slight vinegar taste or bitter. Immediately or as it settles in the mouth?
Smell?
Is it still drinkable?

What beer should it be?
Can you post the recipe up here please?

Really quite hard to have an infection on your second brew (and kit brew?) -
Why were you measuring the pH? Because you suspected it was infected or for some other reason?
Probably just a young tasting beer, give it a few more weeks of conditioning and I doubt it will be so hazy or sour.

Question needs to be a bit more concise, what did you do after measuring your pH? Did you measure the pH of your sparge water? Did you make a temperature adjustment? Is it a sour beer?
The bottle could be contaminated, but most probably not by wild yeast, I think you would have had a gusher had wild yeast been chomping away on the remaining sugar.
The PH was taken from the whole batch. From the fermenter. I did not measure PH of the mash, as I'm using LME. My tap water that I'm using has 7.8 ph.

Latest posts

Back