Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clapa

Mortsafes were devices that were made of iron or iron-and-stone. The idea was that the weight of them would deter grave robbers.
Oftentimes, they were more complex and designed of heavy iron, padlocked for even greater security.
They could only be removed by the two people who had the keys. Mortsafes were placed over the coffins for about six weeks.
When there was sufficient decay of the corpse, the mortsafe would be removed and used at another grave site.
Over time, groups were formed that made and rented mortsafes out to graveyards, especially those near medical schools.

View attachment 94815

https://scottishheart.net/2013/10/14/mortsafes-and-body-snatchers/
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Very enterprising, renting them out . And of course, after a month or so, the contents had matured beyond use.

1705502574854.png

Andrew Bater

Top Contributor
·
Another photo from the 1982 blizzards.
This time from my home territory on the Gower peninsula.
The country lanes of Gower were completely impassable due to significant drifting.
Love how people pull together and help each other in adverse conditions - Around here that community spirit is much the same nowadays too .

View attachment 94819
I know that road well its a bit hairy for me as a cyclist I prefer to go up over reynoldston from where I live. my fat tyre bike would be good on that :laugh8:

@Jim Brewster

Saw jupiter a couple of nights ago.

A mate put me onto satellites a couple of weeks ago. I have been outside with dog at sunset... Seen nowt. Bugger all. Is it a myth? 😁

Even used In-The-Sky.org to work out when and where. Nothing.

Definitely not a myth. Saw 4 and a fireball a couple of nights ago feeding the horse. Last week saw three and the ISS. The ISS is bigger and brighter than a satellite. You need a clear night.

Back