Picture or Video of the day.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how far the first car got before getting stuck that made them feel the sign was necessary.

1644351570898.png

If I could get a
View attachment 62432
I would. The car, not the bovine...maybe both. How many miles per bale do they get?
Once we flew to Malaga for a week's holiday. I booked a hire car on line to pick up at the airport, and because we were staying in a reneted house in a little village in the hills I thought getting a Smart Car would be cool. MrsVC's face when she saw the car was not a happy sight. And trying to get 2 suitcases + hand luggage into the back behind the seats ... didn't really work very well.

Ace for getting through the twisty little streets though.

Reactions to Smart Cars can go either way. We're used to the motorcycle so the Smart Car is a step up. I've a few relatives who think they're dangerous. Oh, well.
Ideally, a five-speed Smart Car for me and keep the current car for shopping trips.
I thought getting a Smart Car would be cool. MrsVC's face when she saw the car was not a happy sight.

Proper toast.

Remember when we used to have regular power cuts in the 1970's the open fire became the cooker.

(hardly anyone had gas back then)

1644605053397.png

What caused the blackouts?
Unions were the main cause of the blackouts in the 1970s, miners opted to work to rule due to proposed pay caps so by the end of 1973 coal reserves were running extremely low. This forced the government into action.

They decided to impose restrictions on power usage, electricity was rationed and firms not classed as essential services were forced to restrict their power usage to three days a week. Hence the three day working week developed which might sound great, but when you adjust wages to compensate for this you can understand how families quickly found themselves on the breadline.

Britain?
Wow, where do we begin? In blackout areas schools, homes and businesses used paraffin lamps and candles for light. Street lights were out, houses were plunged into darkness and that was just the tip of the iceberg.

People would walk from one store to the next to buy candles only to find they were sold out. Butcher’s shops started to make ‘makeshift’ candles out of string and lard, which smelt terrible and were a real fire hazard. Families would sit around the fireside watching coals crackle or huddle around gas rings on the cooker for heat. It sounds bleak and it was bleak, but on the plus side, it made the country unite.

Folks tried to make the blackouts as fun as possible, they’d sit around chatting, think of games to play in the dark, sip mugs of Bovril, fill the home with the smell of freshly baked bread (shops were often sold out) and generally enjoy quality time together until the power came back on.

Think of that the next time your kids are playing on their iPads, you’re on the computer and hubby is watching Sky Sports in the other room, maybe the blackouts weren’t that bad after all?

https://generator-power.co.uk/living-1970s-blackouts/

Proper toast.

Remember when we used to have regular power cuts in the 1970's the open fire became the cooker.

(hardly anyone had gas back then)

View attachment 62824

What caused the blackouts?
Unions were the main cause of the blackouts in the 1970s, miners opted to work to rule due to proposed pay caps so by the end of 1973 coal reserves were running extremely low. This forced the government into action.

They decided to impose restrictions on power usage, electricity was rationed and firms not classed as essential services were forced to restrict their power usage to three days a week. Hence the three day working week developed which might sound great, but when you adjust wages to compensate for this you can understand how families quickly found themselves on the breadline.

Britain?
Wow, where do we begin? In blackout areas schools, homes and businesses used paraffin lamps and candles for light. Street lights were out, houses were plunged into darkness and that was just the tip of the iceberg.

People would walk from one store to the next to buy candles only to find they were sold out. Butcher’s shops started to make ‘makeshift’ candles out of string and lard, which smelt terrible and were a real fire hazard. Families would sit around the fireside watching coals crackle or huddle around gas rings on the cooker for heat. It sounds bleak and it was bleak, but on the plus side, it made the country unite.

Folks tried to make the blackouts as fun as possible, they’d sit around chatting, think of games to play in the dark, sip mugs of Bovril, fill the home with the smell of freshly baked bread (shops were often sold out) and generally enjoy quality time together until the power came back on.

Think of that the next time your kids are playing on their iPads, you’re on the computer and hubby is watching Sky Sports in the other room, maybe the blackouts weren’t that bad after all?

https://generator-power.co.uk/living-1970s-blackouts/
We used to put empty crisp packets on the poker and hold them over the hot coals until they shrank and then had mini hard crisp packets. Christ knows why though.

I remember my mam cooking beans in a pan on the open fire there were more black bits in the pan than beans by the time they were hot but it did us no harm ;)

Back