Pilgrims reward ipa hamstead homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowden87

Reaction score
I brewed this for 5 days at 22-24 degrees. I usually brew for 12-14 days minimum. I thought I'd brew it as per the instructions. It finished at 1.011, making it 4%. I brewed it with the hamstead homebrew brew enhancer. I added the hops at the start. The instructions stated add 250ml of boiling water to the hops leave for five minutes then add them into the wort. It's been bottled for two weeks. I'm really surprised by it to be honest. It's a cracking IPA lovely grapefruit, lemon flavour from the hops. Nice and smooth. I would recommend it.

Attachments

• IMG20230630204804.jpg
    IMG20230630204804.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3
I was thinking about getting a couple of Brupaks Pride of Yorkshire kits next but these Hamstead kits are pulling me back. I wish I didn't have as many beers to brew (just past best by date) or I'd get an order in today. Still can't wait to try the Cardinals ale, right up my street that 👍

Cheers Tom

I was thinking about getting a couple of Brupaks Pride of Yorkshire kits next but these Hamstead kits are pulling me back. I wish I didn't have as many beers to brew (just past best by date) or I'd get an order in today. Still can't wait to try the Cardinals ale, right up my street that 👍

Cheers Tom
I know what you mean, I used to brew quite a few Pinter brews. I found a Pinter cider pack I had here dated September last year. Fairplay it fermented well. I put the hamstead homebrew czech pilsner on today. It come with two tubs of malt extract and a bag with liquid hop oil in it. I'm going for a 14 day ferment on that one. It come with an ale yeast which I don't mind, as I can't get the temperatures down low enough to brew at lager temps. Cheers Pete

Not made a lager, ever, but might give one a go sometime. Mrs Soupdragon and I went out for some pub grub a few weeks ago, all the cask beer was off so ended up on the Peroni. Actually enjoyed it, always enjoy holiday beers too. Alfa, Fix, Mythos and the like so maybe just maybe I'll try one out once I get my stock down.
I'll be interested to hear how your pilsner goes 👍

Cheers Tom

Not made a lager, ever, but might give one a go sometime. Mrs Soupdragon and I went out for some pub grub a few weeks ago, all the cask beer was off so ended up on the Peroni. Actually enjoyed it, always enjoy holiday beers too. Alfa, Fix, Mythos and the like so maybe just maybe I'll try one out once I get my stock down.
I'll be interested to hear how your pilsner goes 👍

Cheers Tom
I will keep you updated

Hey Pete

It's been a few weeks, how did the ferment go, Is it carbing up well? It's probably a bit early to sample a bottle yet though 🤔

Cheers Tom
I drunk them all 😂. They were lovely fairplay. A different hop taste to what I'm used to (quite a grassy citrus taste) but nice and smooth.

I drunk them all 😂. They were lovely fairplay. A different hop taste to what I'm used to (quite a grassy citrus taste) but nice and smooth.
Blimey, 3 weeks from getting the kit on to drinking the last bottle. That's some going 😉 Did it taste like a particular lager or did it just have a generic lager taste?

Cheers Tom

Blimey, 3 weeks from getting the kit on to drinking the last bottle. That's some going 😉 Did it taste like a particular lager or did it just have a generic lager taste?

Cheers Tom
Sorry I thought you was on about the IPA 😂 the larger is condition as we speak. I've tried one and it had a nice malty lagery taste to it. I'm going to leave it for another week then start drinking it. I wouldn't say it tastes like a particular lager from the shops, but it's lovely and refreshing

Not made a lager, ever, but might give one a go sometime.
I am mistaken.
Remembered earlier that I've done a Mangrove Jack Helles. It was that good (not) that I'd completely forgotten about it. Maybe, just maybe, if I have some success with a few of the Hamstead kits I might try a lager, or should I say pseudo lager. There can't be many real lager kits out there. Or are there? 🤔

Cheers Tom

I am mistaken.
Remembered earlier that I've done a Mangrove Jack Helles. It was that good (not) that I'd completely forgotten about it. Maybe, just maybe, if I have some success with a few of the Hamstead kits I might try a lager, or should I say pseudo lager. There can't be many real lager kits out there. Or are there? 🤔

Cheers Tom
I know what you mean, most of the lager kits I've done over the years have come out more like a golden ale rather than a true lager. I think the only way to get a true lager is to maybe try a part grain kit from dark rock. They do one called birra Italia which supposed to be amazing. If you swap the yeast for the new nova lager yeast, it can ferment at ale temperatures, but you still get the clean crisp lager taste. I'm going to leave the lager another week or so, so it would have been in the bottle nearly 4 weeks then I will update you how it is. I don't tend to brew many lagers now for that reason. I find you've got to leave them for a good month or two.

I got rid of my old stove top stock pot ages ago, wouldn't work now anyway on Mrs Soupdragon's induction hob. We don't have anything bigger than the base of a set of steamer pans so maybe 4-5 litres tops. I could always dust off the old BrewBaby all in one and do a "real" brew 🤣
A lager really is a way off yet but a mini mash is something to consider

Cheers Tom

I got rid of my old stove top stock pot ages ago, wouldn't work now anyway on Mrs Soupdragon's induction hob. We don't have anything bigger than the base of a set of steamer pans so maybe 4-5 litres tops. I could always dust off the old BrewBaby all in one and do a "real" brew 🤣
A lager really is a way off yet but a mini mash is something to consider

Cheers Tom
Haha yeah to be honest I used to make 10 litre allgrains, I don't miss it at all. Used to take too much time, and too much cleaning up etc.
I've been getting good results with most of my kit brews, yes some styles like you said are not 100% but from a time side of things, cost of electric etc I'm happy to stick to kits and maybe the odd part grain :-)

Latest posts

Back