Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakistos_uk

kakistos_uk
Reaction score
I’d like some feedback on my intended recipe please…

I’m trying to replicate something similar to Kronenburg/Grolsh – I’m not a lager fan but these are pretty good.

I’m still new so will be using a kit. Possibly from Coopers (86 day pilsner).

I thought about adding 1kg of brewing sugar and adding 1kg of Crushed Cara Pils Malt .

I’ll also add hops and have been told that Hallertau or Tettnanger are the best. Do you have a preference? Also, how much would you recommend. Dry hop or hop tea?

Is there anything I’ve missed? I thought about something extra to replace the sugar but I don’t want to overcomplicate the taste.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all.

Kakistos.

Hersbrucker is probably your best bet, if not give mount hood a go. I would say no more than 20g four days before bottling.

I would advise against Lagering in bottles if you're dry hopping as you'll lose any of the kick by the time you've stored it for two months or so.

If you lager it in demijohns for a couple of months and then hop it four days prior to bottling it will be much better.

Kronenburg uses Strisselspalt hops, but the ones I suggested are good substitutes.

When using an extract kit and adding to it without having a reference point it is very easy to over do or under do things, the coopers kit will have a balanced amount of hops already within it and most pils I've ever had was not that hop forward. If you don't mind hoppy beer then go with maybe 20-50g dry hopped if you want flavour, and go with a hop that is to your palate, if its added bitterness you want then they will need some boiling along with the carapils grain. Saaz is another hop that is usually found in east euro pils.

Latest posts

Back