pioneer hop recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
Does anyone know a tried and tested recipe using pioneer hops I got a heap of fresh ones have looked around but cant seem to find any recipes that folk say are good and worth doing ,anyone used these hops?

WP_20161025_14_16_47_Pro.jpg

Pioneer hops are an English variety so stick em in an English Bitter

90% Pale
5% Crystal
5% Biscuit

60min addition
10min addition
0min addition

This is my house bitter receipe and makes a nice one too. You'll have to tell me how strong you want the bitter and what the IBU of the hops are (if you have any idea) for m to add more detail

hi myqul no idea of what the ibu is so winging it with them 4.0 to 5.0 %would do me for a bitter,have you used pioneer before

With fresh hops you're not going to get any particular or unique characteristics from them as it is the drying/kilning process that brings out and concentrates these qualities. You'll be getting nice fresh, grassy & herbal notes from them. They'll be very delicate though so you'll have to use loads more to get anything from them.

Personally, I'd brew a nice English Pale Ale - 90% Pale, 5% Crystal, 5% Wheat - bitter to about 35 IBU with a normal bittering hop and chuck an absolute load of these in late - dry hop with a load of them too. Just make it a slightly larger batch as they'll suck a load of beer up!

I haven't used pioneer before but I'm quite keen on English hops. I'm making a ESB tommorow (with First Gold and Bramling X) and I like making (pseudo) lagers but swapping out the German Nobel hops and replacing them for English hops (I'm making a EKG Helles on monday).

Doing a bit of googling, pioneer hops have an AA% of between 8%-10% so taking the average lets say 9%. I've never used wet hops before but there's another thread about where someone which said you need to x's the amount by 5 to account for the moisture in the hops. As you've said you'd like a beer between 4%-5% this recipe is 4.6%. A nice best bitter (just on the edge, almost tipping into ESB territory).

23L based on 72% Efficiency OG. 1.047 FG 1.012 ABV% 4.6% IBU 30.4

Pale Malt 4kg
Medium Crystal Malt 250g
Biscuit Malt 250g
Torrified Wheat (for head retention. You can leave this out if you want) 250g

Pioneer 9%AA (average) 150g @60min
Pioneer 9%AA (average) 50g@10min
Pioneer 9%AA (average) 125g@0min

or just completely ignore this and go with RZH says :mrgreen:

cheers folks thanks so much for your input on this will have a wee think and hope to get time to brew it tomorrow,brewed a first gold single hop today 200g of fresh first gold in up to now gonna dry hop with another 50g 5 days before bottling hope it turns out ok

went ahead and done myquls bitter as i made a pale ale on saturday,taste from sample jar was good and i hit 1.047 on the nail although came in at just under 20 litres the amount of hops must have soaked in plenty wort,keep you updated once i ferment cheers lagerlad

I haven't used pioneer before but I'm quite keen on English hops. I'm making a ESB tommorow (with First Gold and Bramling X) and I like making (pseudo) lagers but swapping out the German Nobel hops and replacing them for English hops (I'm making a EKG Helles on monday).

Doing a bit of googling, pioneer hops have an AA% of between 8%-10% so taking the average lets say 9%. I've never used wet hops before but there's another thread about where someone which said you need to x's the amount by 5 to account for the moisture in the hops. As you've said you'd like a beer between 4%-5% this recipe is 4.6%. A nice best bitter (just on the edge, almost tipping into ESB territory).

23L based on 72% Efficiency OG. 1.047 FG 1.012 ABV% 4.6% IBU 30.4

Pale Malt 4kg
Medium Crystal Malt 250g
Biscuit Malt 250g
Torrified Wheat (for head retention. You can leave this out if you want) 250g

Pioneer 9%AA (average) 150g @60min
Pioneer 9%AA (average) 50g@10min
Pioneer 9%AA (average) 125g@0min

or just completely ignore this and go with RZH says :mrgreen:

I read on here not so long ago, and made a note in my brew book, that fresh hops should be multiplied by between 5 and 8 times.

Back