Pittsy's Munich Weizen Now with Pics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittsy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Going to be brewing this tomorrow morning , the mrs is working so i've got a day free .

munich weizen
Weizen/Weissbier
Type: All Grain Date: 17/11/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l Brewer: pittsy
Boil Size: 29.26 l Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 70 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/23 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 26.87 l Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 21.49 l Est Mash Efficiency 80.9 %

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Wheat Malt, Bel (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 60.0 %
1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 20.0 %
1.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 20.0 %
25.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 70.0 min Hop 4 9.8 IBUs
15.00 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 2.8 IBUs
1.0 pkg Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) [35.49 ml] Yeast 6 -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.049 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.014SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 12.6 IBUs Calories: 427.1 kcal/l
Est Color: 9.1 EBC
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Decoction Mash, Single Total Grain Weight: 5.00 kg
Sparge Water: 13.71 l Grain Temperature: 12.0 C
Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C Tun Temperature: 12.0 C
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
mash in Add 10.00 l of water at 46.5 C 41.0 C 15 min
protein rest Add 3.00 l of water at 85.7 C 50.0 C 20 min
Mash Step Decoct 4.55 l of mash and boil it (raise to 71c over 10 mins from 50c and hold for 15 mins then raise to boiling for 30 mins then return to main mash to reach) 64.0 C 40 min
Mash Step Add 4.00 l of water at 97.1 C 71.0 C 15 min
Mash Step Add 4.50 l of water at 97.0 C 76.0 C 15 min

Mash Notes: Used in some authentic German styles. Attempt to draw decoction from the thickest portion of the mash. Profiles vary. Some traditional German mashes use a long acid rest at 40 deg C. Also some sources recommend the decoction amount be given a 15 minute saccharification rest at 158 F (70 C) before boiling it.
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.7
Carbonation Used: Bottle with 150 g Table Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 21.1 C Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 20 C
Notes

Created with BeerSmith

That's one hell of a mash you've got there. Best of luck.

How long do you plan on leaving the sparge water in the tun before draining your second lot of wort... 15mins?

jonnymorris said:
That's one hell of a mash you've got there. Best of luck.

How long do you plan on leaving the sparge water in the tun before draining your second lot of wort... 15mins?
oops didn't notice times wrong on end of mash , have updated it , yeah 15/20 mins

Dieseljockey said:
Looking good.. :clap: In the new year I would love to pop up one brew day to see something like this all come together
Sure , its a normal brew day to me really , 90% of my brews are weizen (you prob noticed lol ) and yes decoction (which i've now only done around 5 times) does make it longer but i've done step mashes for some time now and it's deffo worth the effort , most of my brews are good enough to do a bling test with some of the real german bottle weizens :D

pittsy said:
Dieseljockey said:
Looking good.. :clap: In the new year I would love to pop up one brew day to see something like this all come together
Sure , its a normal brew day to me really , 90% of my brews are weizen (you prob noticed lol ) and yes decoction (which i've now only done around 5 times) does make it longer but i've done step mashes for some time now and it's deffo worth the effort , most of my brews are good enough to do a bling test with some of the real german bottle weizens :D

I'm into trappist myself..would like to try one of your weizens and the step mashes would be good thing to watch it done, as they fit into some of the trappist brews. :thumb:

well so far so good ive mashed in and get my correct temp rest then added more water and have reached my 2nd correct temp , just doing a 20 min rest (that's why posting) then decoction next , i'll be pulling around 5 thick liters , gonna take around an hour , and so far i have taken pics

well here is my day ,
false bottom
DSCF1315-Copy.jpg

grains
DSCF1321.jpg

target 41c
DSCF1322.jpg

next target 50c
DSCF1324.jpg

Decoction pulled , 5 liters

DSCF1326.jpg

colour of grains at start
DSCF1327.jpg

colour after boil
DSCF1335.jpg

while decoction you must stir to avoid scorched grains
DSCF1328.jpg

Also a must , a rest at 75c for 15 mins before boiling grains
DSCF1332.jpg

decoction nicely boiling for 30 mins
DSCF1334.jpg

Return decoction to main mash target 64c , rest here
DSCF1336.jpg

another infusion , target 71c last sacc rest
DSCF1338.jpg

mash out
DSCF1339.jpg

Hops at the ready
DSCF1345.jpg

Heating up 30 liters of wort
DSCF1346.jpg

About to boil , hops in
DSCF1347.jpg

Now 70 mins of this
DSCF1348.jpg

Back to kitchen to use wort chiller , won't take long .
DSCF1349.jpg

Right time for a beer , a wit beer i brewed around 4 weeks back ,
DSCF1352.jpg

That's it really . Job done all in fv , temp 15c yeast pitched , will raise to 22c by tomorrow
And i hit 1051 with 24l (but had a liter starter)
DSCF1357.jpg

Good informative post.... piccies are great for helping to understand the rather complicated process in this method... :thumb:

I'm in awe of your decoction mashing!

Can you acheive much the same with step mashing, or does heating a portion of the wort on the hob add something unique?

MacKiwi said:
I'm in awe of your decoction mashing!

Can you acheive much the same with step mashing, or does heating a portion of the wort on the hob add something unique?
well if you mash in at say just 66c you will get a nice drink but if you drink hefes often then you will notice it just ain't right ,
Now if you step mash you will get a very refreshing nice hefe that will be lovely ,
And if you do decoction then you will get a more malty heavier drink and it will also darken the brew a little , all i can say is i like step mashed brews but i love the decoction results , i can honestly say it would pass as a shop bought hefe (at least the 1's i've tried ) :)

MacKiwi said:

Melanoids. Much of them.

With step mash you'd get "almost as good as original", but sometimes this "almost" makes key difference.

I do decoction with all my lagers, no matter pale or dark. Fuller taste, more mouthful, nice golden colour, not that **** yellow like in Perlenbacher (which is not bad, just mass produced basic pils).

i would love to try some of your brews Zgoda , they sound really nice , we also seem to share a similar taste in brews , :cheers:

BUMP!!

Going for my 2nd pittys wheat. Double decoction planned.

Will I lose a lot of flavour if I pitch on the last wheat cake?

Mmmmm. Looks awesome. I really want to brew a Dunkelweizen soon but don't really have a pot big enough to do a decoctio like you have there. Although, saying that, I'm only doing 3 Gal batches at the moment.

Would there be any benefit to doing a 2 litre decoction on a 13.5 litre batch? Quick fag-packet calculation says I'd be mashing 2.5 kg of grain (if I fly sparge) in 7.5 litres of liquor...

I feel I may have to pick your brains, as you're clearly very knowledgeable on all things wheat!

Here is a pic of my brewday, waiting for delivery of a 50l pan, so using a pan out of the cupboard, good for 9l of thick mash, smell was amazing - like a raspberry oatmeal. Different grainbill, 3kg Wheat Malt, 1kg Maris O, 500g Dark Wheat, 1kg of Vienna. 2 oz of Hal Hersbrucker

Would there be any benefit to doing a 2 litre decoction on a 13.5 litre batch

Yes I would go for it, try to take as much thick mash out of the tun as possible and boil away, even on a small batch I think it would be worth it, fun times if nothing else. I find this video very entertaining and informative. http://vimeo.com/22026139

imag0242p.jpg

Latest posts

Back