Please give me a link for foraged apple cider - thanks.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinH

Reaction score
Recently I've been pre-occupied with making wines from foraged fruits. It's gone well - so far - with lots of fun learning along the way.

Now I'm quite easy-going on the serious side in that if my wines turn out to vinegar I'll be upset but I'll have another go straight away.

But, Cider, well - if that goes wrong I'm going to cry like a little girl.

I've foraged 4 trugs of apples (3 varieties) prob around 60kg in total. I've had a look in the How-To and cannot find a How-To on turning apples into cider. Can someone please chuck me a link? Ideally, I think I'm going to 'copy' another's idea on here and have two on the go, a high ABV and a low(ish) ABV which has kindly been answered.

The thing I'm worried about most of all is just how mature and soft do my apples need to be? My car already smells like a brewery!

Very many thanks.

Kevin

They don't want to be soft as in starting-to-rot at all, you'd have to chuck those. Ripe, for max sugar.
Basically, you get them chopped up somehow so you can press the juice out, then you ferment it, it's as simple as that.
If you have a lot you want a proper scratter to chop them, if a few you could use a simpler (cheaper) device.
For a few you can use a couple of chopping boards and G clamps to press them between , with them in something like an old pillowcase. If you have a lot, a proper press.
The 'proper' gear isn't cheap, but may homebrew shops do hire.
Once the juice is out it's a good idea to Campden it, then pitch your yeast a day later.
You want a mix of apples that has good flavour, enough acid, and enough tannin. But any mix will make something drinkable.
www.cider.org.uk is excellent

Wash apples if it sinks bin it if it floats use it cut and crush to a pulp press to extract the juice if you want the purest way leave to ferment on its own if not kill the wild yeast with 1 campden table per gallon then use a high alcohol wine yeast leave in container until it has stopped working then bottle or barrel hope this helps :cheers:

Thank you, both.

Off to check the link. Thank you!

E2A: dead link. I tried a few variants with no luck.

Thank you, kind Sir!

E2a: I've now saved all the pages. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back