Please help me overthink - Temperature control during fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyurmaember

Landlord.
Reaction score
As my first brew bubbling in my new fermenter, which doesn't come with temp control out of box, I having some thoughts on temp control.
How precise temp control those pesky yeasts require?
Are we happy with the inkbirds capabilities? Or will I need a PID, or will I need a PID with 2 temp probes(that's require a custom temp probe, and I fancy for fiddling with this kind of stuff)?

As my first brew bubbling in my new fermenter, which doesn't come with temp control out of box, I having some thoughts on temp control.
How precise temp control those pesky yeasts require?
Are we happy with the inkbirds capabilities? Or will I need a PID, or will I need a PID with 2 temp probes(that's require a custom temp probe, and I fancy for fiddling with this kind of stuff)?
Inkbird, old fridge and a heater and you have very good temperature control.

Do not over complicate it Inkbird is ok.
Too many trying to get within 0.1 on everything including PH etc it is not needed for homebrewers unless you want to waste money on super sensitive equipment or are anal about things.
Great beer was made years ago without modern day equipment its just a money making thing by convincing you need it

A PID controller is overkill and likely would soon knacker your fridge or freezer compressor as it would cycle too often.

As above an Inkbird or STC100 set up is more than capable for fermentation.

Yeast have a wide optimal temperature range so you don't need to be too precise.

As others have said, if you want to go down the road of temp control, an inkbird, an old fridge and a heater is all you need. I am typically fermenting at +/- 1c of the optimum yeast temp this way. I find this is more than adequate for the beers and lagers I make.

My temperature control is "put it in the utility room with a jacket on it". It rises with initial fermentation, then drops as it tails off. It normally stays in the range 19-23°, controlled by the central heating 😉. I don't have the space to set up a fermentation fridge.

Inkbird works fine for me in both my fermentation fridge and direct in my unitank fermenter. Usually able to maintain within a degree or so which is more than adequate.

Though I seem to have an issue with the ink birds and my fridge in that several times I've spotted it that despite being in heating mode both the fridge and the heating element are on and the fridge usually wins. So my fridge seems to be breaking the ink birds. I'm guessing maybe there is a big spike as it kicks in which might be knackering the ink birds?

Not had the same issue with my uniting which controls a 500w element and a glycol circulation pump.

I am very similar to Agent I do not have full control and use a lot of Kveik for that but in the winter I do have a Plate Warmer that I can wrap around and manually control the heat to a reasonable amount of accuracy but not to the point of a fridge/Inkbird controller

Agree with all the above. Old fridge + greenhouse heater + inkbird will be a huge step forward with minimal outlay and effort. Doing this improved the quality of my brews immediately and more than any other process or kit change I have made.

Can you do more? Definitely and don't let me talk you out of it, if you are seeking even greater control, but the simpler approach here is great. I suspect anything beyond will be a marginal benefit. Whether the cost/effort justifies than benefit is your call.

Pah! If everyone is talking about Inkbird ITC-308, obviously the ranting about them is going unheard, ranting from various sources that is (not just me!). If this fella is referring to an "Inkbird ITC308" then he's got the audacity to suggest the "308" won't cycle the compressor too often (it flippin' well will!).
A PID controller is overkill and likely would soon knacker your fridge or freezer compressor as it would cycle too often.

As above an Inkbird or STC100 set up is more than capable for fermentation.

I have to admit I'm still using an Inkbird ITC-308 for helping to cool a fermenter (with a Maxi 110 clone shelf cooler) 'cos I haven't fitted the replacement ITC-1000 (an Inkbird STC-1000 variant that I hope hasn't copied the same fault as in the ITC-308). The defect doesn't make the ICT-308 less accurate, just turns it into a compressor munching demon.

Thanks guys for the input, luckily no fridge involved, it's a bit bigger operation than that. The inkbird only send signal to the glycol chiller's pump, and the compressor managed by the chiller itself.
On this occasion, no heater involved, as I'm planning to ferment lagers in this one.
The next one will come with a heater.

Pah! If everyone is talking about Inkbird ITC-308, obviously the ranting about them is going unheard, ranting from various sources that is (not just me!). If this fella is referring to an "Inkbird ITC308" then he's got the audacity to suggest the "308" won't cycle the compressor too often (it flippin' well will!).

I have to admit I'm still using an Inkbird ITC-308 for helping to cool a fermenter (with a Maxi 110 clone shelf cooler) 'cos I haven't fitted the replacement ITC-1000 (an Inkbird STC-1000 variant that I hope hasn't copied the same fault as in the ITC-308). The defect doesn't make the ICT-308 less accurate, just turns it into a compressor munching demon.

That may be your experience, but it isn't mine. Please don't confuse your experience with universal fact.

I've actively looked for the fault and have not observed it in the 6+ years I've had one on my keezer. Also bought one at the start of the year for ferm fridge and no issues.

That may be your experience, but it isn't mine. Please don't confuse your experience with universal fact. ...
From another forum ("Jim's"):

Re: ITC-308 troubles!

Post by ***** » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Standing in front of my keezer pouring myself a beer, I think about this thread and glance at the Inkbird.

4.6c, coming down to the set point of 4.5c.

And then, just for less than half a second the readout jumps to 5.6c.

Omg. PeeBee was right.

Doesn’t really matter to me as I allow a 2c variation, but makes me wonder about swapping to the spare STC-1000 I have.

On this forum:

Issue with Inkbird ITC308S - anyone else had this?

Etc., etc. ... Confusing my experiences?

Well between mt ispindel in the fermenter and my Wi-Fi inkbird 308 I’ve not noticed any erroneous temperature readings. Apart from the problem I explain above I’ve not noticed any issues with the 308’s and can easily manage fermentation temps. I suspect the electronics in a 308 are the same as in an stc—1000

Well between mt ispindel in the fermenter and my Wi-Fi inkbird 308 I’ve not noticed any erroneous temperature readings. Apart from the problem I explain above I’ve not noticed any issues with the 308’s and can easily manage fermentation temps. I suspect the electronics in a 308 are the same as in an stc-1000
You won't! The fault is only momentary, its effect is to trigger the cooling compressor on and off (the "compressor delay" doesn't help). I keep hammering on about it because Inkbird won't do anything about it but are happily taking money from more and more punters who remain ignorant of it.

Interesting, I wonder if its linked to the issue I'm having...thogut its not causing my fridge to fail but causing the InkBird itself to fail. There is a 'compressor delay' setting in there so you can, I presume, prevent those instantaneous reactions to short term changes to save compressors kicking in and out too much. Cant remember if that is a setting on my older ink birds or just on this newer one.

I think the compressor delay setting works with the temp tolerance setting, so as soon as the temp triggers demand there is a further time based delay you can add so if the temp is fluctuating around a set temp that could 'flicker' the demand on and off very quickly, then this time delay can effectively iron out the frequency of the demand signal.

I almost have to laugh at the intensity of thought going into controlling temps. It can be important but I still remember when I started brewing over 30 years ago. I fermented out in the garage where the temps would vary 20 to 30 degrees F EVERY DAY. Now brewers think they'll destroy their beer if the temps vary by 2 or 3 degrees!

Latest posts

Back