Popey's brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popey

Reaction score
Today's brew day was a Rhubarb and ginger saison.

The recipe is:
1670g Dingeman’s Pilsner
420g Crisp Pale Wheat
This is for a 10l test batch.
Hops are Amarillo and Ekuanot.

It didn't quite go to plan.

I had an issue with the new version of the Grainfather app. The target temperature for the boil was set to 0 degrees, so the boil timer never started. I decided to ignore the app and use the kitchen timer instead.

I subsequently found out how to change the boil temperature in the app. Why isn't it set to 100 degrees C as a default?

The amount of fermentable wort was about 25% less that I anticipated. So a 10l batch is more like 7.5l. I think I need to make some adjustments to the Grainfather app to allow for greater boil-off. Depending on how much trub is created, I may only end up with 5-6l of usable beer. Still, never mind, it's a test batch.

After cleaning up, I went to move the fermentation vessel to the fermentation fridge and I noticed a puddle forming under the vessel. I had a leak from the tap. So I had to quickly clean and sanitise a spare bucket (the one I had planned for secondary fermentation with the rhubarb and ginger) and transfer the wort over. At least it meant it got some extra aeration.

It's now sat in the fermentation fridge and it looks like its under way already.

One lesson I have learned is to avoid brewdays the day after a 5k open-water swim. I'm cream-crackered!

Latest posts

Back