Possible next brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah kind of bitter style of ale I think. Never used chocolate malt but know an ale I like has a bit in. How much I've no idea just tinkering.

That's in brown ale territory with the chocolate and crystal at 3.2%. It's just above that colour range for Special/Best/Premium bitter. So it depends what you want, that will be nice, but on the borderline of ESB and brown ale, if there is a borderline between them!

I would also want more than 10g hops in the last 30 mins, myself, you'll get your hop flavour mostly from hops inside the last 20 mins.

Loose the chocolate and increase crystal. And up the hops last 10. Would you also use first gold in last 10? And would you add any at the end to steep?

I'd keep the chocolate malt. It will add something nice. Just add less? 15-30g is nice in a 23L bitter.

Agree with McMullan, use a small amount of chocolate. I wouldnt increase the Crystal, 5-10% is the norm.

A typical hop schedule is 60, 15 and then 5 or 0. So most of the hops are in the last 15 mins. The 60 just provides most of the IBUs.

They are both good for flavour. Depends if you want the flavour of one, or both. Both would be good, one will show you the flavour of that hop.

I've done a First Gold Bitter recently and used 25g at 15 mins and 15g at flame out - went for 39 IBU's bitterness but got that from the 60 minute addition as Clibit says.

Just started drinking this brew now and it is the best I've done to date, love the first gold hop (orangey, marmalady loveliness).

Good luck with your brew.

I reckon 1% to 1.5% chocolate and about 400g crystal. 20g Challenger @60, 20g Challenger/First Gold @ 15 and 30g First Gold @ 5 or 0. Just my two penneth.

Latest posts

Back