preventing bacteria in syphon hose advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnmcfarlane

Reaction score
How do you dry your siphon when you wash it after syphoning beer. I still have little specs of water in mine which I'm worried might turn into bacteria. Is it best just to change syphon hose every time you make a new batch of homebrew or sterlise syphon and just don't rinse it so the hoses remain sanitised untull used again

Rinse it through with a videne solution, contact sterilisation and no rinse. Or any other steriliser and flush it out with boiled water.

I wash mine with soapy water as soon as it has been used, then flush some sterilising solution through it, hold it by the middle of its length and whirl it over my head like a lasso, then hang by the middle on a hook. I believe you can eliminate water marks by rinsing with distilled water, but have never done that myself.

Before next use I just syphon a litre of Videne solution through it.

If you leave it immersed long-term or leave filled with steriliser, the tube will turn white and slightly opaque.

I usually have 2 or 3 lengths in service at any one time, and they are cheap enough so I replace them frequently.

Leave mine filled with peracetic acid . . .not fussed with cloudy tube

When i clean my syphon tube all i do is rinse it inside and out with hot tap water, then syphon approx 1 litre of sanitizer through it, dip it in the sanitizer, then rinse again with hot tap water. Never had an infected brew so is sufficient enough without over doing it. Simples :cheers:

I do the same as above. :thumb:
The same 1.5m length has served me well for 10 years or more. :whistle:

What's your procedures for getting it started, I fear infection sucking on the pipe and then putting straight into keg. I tried to spray with Starsan after sucking

I use an auto siphon which is a tube within a tube. You simply pull the inner tube out a ways and push back in to start the siphon. VERY handy.

I rinse with just hot tap water after each use. Before using, I run a starsan (phosphoric acid) solution through it. I never put it in contact with wort/beer unless I've soaked it in Starsan first.

I usually leave mine with a few drops of water in and it's just a case of rinsing, sanitising (i use VWP at the moment but I'll get some when that runs out) and rinsing again before use :thumb:

Latest posts

Back