priming cornie kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can but no point in it and no way of controlling carbonation and serving pressure the initial sugar would create a secondary fermentation but I doubt there would be enough c02 to carbonate and then serve your beer with.
cornie kegs are designed for use with a c02 bottle for carbonation.

I carbonate mine with priming sugar. I batch prime with 80g sugar for 23lt. Fill the corny, and bottle the rest. Works fine, but it can be a bit frothy to start with. I don't have a CO2 bottle so no choice but to prime in the keg.

although it can be done as above, some people have also struggled in that the slow release of CO2 from priming is not always enough to seal the lids ( some of mine seal easily, some need 10-20psi quickly ).

I would say the ideal is to have CO2 - you can then control the carbonation exactly. :thumb:

i use c02 gas bottles as well but some times i would just like a bit more fizz in some not all need it was thinking that adding a bit of sugar may do this :wha:

In the past I used sugar with cornies to save on gas, but several of them still needed an initial (sudden high pressure) blast from the cylinder to seal properly, or else any gas from priming would just seep out.

But that was with smaller cylinders. Having found a local supplier of pub-gas sized cylinders, and consequently much cheaper gas, I now only force carbonate; its just so easy and repeatable (if you can control pressure and temperature) and I cannot claim to tell any difference in terms of the quality or taste of carbonation.

Cheers
kev

nuggitmv said:
i use c02 gas bottles as well but some times i would just like a bit more fizz in some not all need it was thinking that adding a bit of sugar may do this :wha:
Increase the gas pressure.. :thumb:

Back