Private Landlords - Riches to Riches?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent 30 odd years doing 90 hour weeks, round the clock shift work in the print trade.

Ruined my health in the process and now can only manage 2 days part time work.

Fortunately i paid mortgage rather than rent so life is easy for me now. i cant imagine having to find endless, ever increasing rent to make a landlord richer and richer.

Sadly that is the future for many many people and they dont realise.

Because it is a better investment
Yer, I get that. But ultimately what does that get you. Maybe bit more money than investing in something else maybe not. Interest rates are mega low so I get that savings account aren't worth anything. I do wonder what would have happened had people only really been able to afford one house.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Whoa there EVERYONE!

But in either event please stop the squabbling, because it serves no purpose. :doh:

Many thanks! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

It's not squabbling we are exploring the issues and no one is getting hurt.

I must say I do not agree with the Government giving people money to buy houses to let but am not against people owning their own houses and letting them out at a market rate.
Legislating against this will shrink the housing market and borders on communism similar to Cuba, only allowing people one house and restricting what they can do legally with their own money.

This all got out of hand quickly, albeit in a fairly amusing fashion. :smile:

Incidentally, I've been renting happily for years despite being able to afford a mortgage - I've enjoyed the lack of commitment, and the knowledge that should something go wrong with the house them I'm not responsible in any way for it. My landlord in turn is a delight, keeping the place maintained and its garden in order for a respectable amount of money per month.

My partner however had a landlord that owned a block of flats, rented out at extortionate rates and barely maintained. The place was a dump but it was all that was available at the time.

Don't think theres any merit in tarring all landlords with the same brush. Some are making a genuine and honest living from it, others are money-grubbing prickrabbits who'll be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Yer, I get that. But ultimately what does that get you. Maybe bit more money than investing in something else maybe not. Interest rates are mega low so I get that savings account aren't worth anything. I do wonder what would have happened had people only really been able to afford one house.

"What does it get me"...It gets me retired in 8 years time

Incidentally, I've been renting happily for years despite being able to afford a mortgage - I've enjoyed the lack of commitment, and the knowledge that should something go wrong with the house them I'm not responsible in any way for it. My landlord in turn is a delight, keeping the place maintained and its garden in order for a respectable amount of money per month.

My partner however had a landlord that owned a block of flats, rented out at extortionate rates and barely maintained. The place was a dump but it was all that was available at the time.

Don't think theres any merit in tarring all landlords with the same brush. Some are making a genuine and honest living from it, others are money-grubbing prickrabbits who'll be first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Home ownership is very much a British thing, in France most people rent houses and it is not their expectation to have to buy one. As long as people have somewhere to live it doesn't matter if they own or rent. house prices in lots of France are reasonably low (not in Paris) but people do not need to buy.

It is a slippery slope telling people that they can't but a house , let it out and make money on it. It is akin to telling someone that they cannot buy anything, add value and sell it on at a profit, without that commerce and industry collapse. This applies to food even where manufacturers make something sell at a profit and then supermarkets add their bit on and at the end of the day the consumer pays. Why are houses any different? We really are going back to communism here if we have to sell everything at the cost we paid for it, it's called stagnation and erodes everyone's spending power especially in a Global marketplace (like it or not that's where we are).

Most people in their lifetime expect to have to pay rent and budget accordingly and no one is exempt from inflation that increases the price of anything.

Nothing wrong with that. but your rent wasnt being paid by council tax payers was it?

Anyone care to state why council tax has doubled in 10 years?

Housing benefit thats why going to greedy landlords (going back to the Original Post)

More buy-to-let = more housing benefit = higher and higher council tax in the years ahead.

Dont say you havnt been warned......

MWahahahahahah:nono:

Just out of interest. Why doesn't everyone only have one house. Why do people need more than one house?

They have money to invest and they can make more than having it stuck in current and savings accounts with minimal interest rates.

Last thing I want to do is start to lock down people having a debate or discussion but can we try to keep it civil and not use personal insults. When things get nasty that's when unfortunate things happen and I don't think any one would like that to happen.

A rule of thumb for inflation is that prices will double every ten years, that's what I have read and always believe.

that would mean inflation was 10% and then interest rates would be 10-15%

Aha then the greedy could invest in savings and stop buying-to-let. House prices would fall and people could actually buy one knowing that when they are older they will be rent/mortage free.

France is bancrupt due to the high pension demands from people that have found out the hard way that they still have rent to pay indefinitely and want to stop working....BUT CANT

So they need big pensions to cover the rent and live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back