Probably A Stupid Question re: maintaining temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuggledPrune

Reaction score
So, I've got a aquarium type heater and I was going to put my FV in a bigger tub with water rather than putting it in the wort. Only problem I was thinking of is the FV has a tap...Do I need to worry / do anything to the water or not (just thinking about sanitisation) or should I just use my brewbelt....?

Cheers,
Martyn

firsty no question is stupid thats what were here for u wouldn't worry about the tap sit the fv in a water bath with the aquarium heater in many of us do it

31bb3 said:
firsty no question is stupid thats what were here for u wouldn't worry about the tap sit the fv in a water bath with the aquarium heater in many of us do it

Thanks mate. Got a Baron's Mexican Cerveza on the go for the summer :cheers:

If water could get in, then the beer will come out (Wilko barrels for me have been doing this, the added bonus is at least if you get a minor leak, it doesn't go everywhere)

I had this dilema when first using a water bath.... fermenter's with tap will be ok, but theres always a little danger of a leak via the tap.
I solved the problem by getting a few 33 litre buckets without taps fitted and a syphon. I know try and put all my brews into one of them for the first part of the ferment then syphon to a tap one for bottling later on.

The valve shouldn't be a problem while you are fermenting the wort.

The only problem may arise is when you plan on actually using the value to transfer the beer.

At that point you can just add some or your favorite sanitizer to the water bath. Probably a no rinse sanitizer would be best since rinsing up into the valve could be problematic. To save on sanitizer you also may wish to remove most of the water in the bath so the level just covers the valve.

Good luck with your brew!

- Scott

Thanks everyone. The only sanitiser I have at the moment is vwp. So I think I'll just transfer into secondary using a syphon to avoid the chance of any infection. I'm going to have to get starsan but my local hbs doesn't sell it so gonna have to find somewhere that does.

When you take the FV out of the water bath, just give the tap a spray with Starsan or similar.
It's funny I thought about that after posting but did bother changing it. I guess I did not think of it initially because I myself do not have a spray bottle for homebrewing. I will need to get one for just that sort of thing.

- Scott

Better to siphon that way you won't oxidise your brew or risk infection from the air. The only bucket I have with a tap is to connect a little bottler when bottling.

piddledribble said:
I had this dilema when first using a water bath.... fermenter's with tap will be ok, but theres always a little danger of a leak via the tap.
I solved the problem by getting a few 33 litre buckets without taps fitted and a syphon. I know try and put all my brews into one of them for the first part of the ferment then syphon to a tap one for bottling later on.

good call...
i do exactly the same thing as you ...
i only use my fv with a tap for bottling.. :thumb: .
regards mick... :hat: .

Brewedout said:
Better to siphon that way you won't oxidise your brew or risk infection from the air. The only bucket I have with a tap is to connect a little bottler when bottling.
+1 to this. I have two FVs with taps. One is used for bottling the other is for taking samples during fermentation.

I was going to ask exactly the same question tbh. I need to decide on either dunking my tap, or spending money on a new fv without a tap and stuff for syphoning. I think i'll go with the later as I was thinking of buying a bottling bucket anyway, but i'll just use my current fv with the tap for that and use another without the tap for an fv. Had enough of brew belts... had a bit of a mare this time.

Back