protofloc tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivvo

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, I got some of these with my last grain order and intend using them on the BIAB brews I'm planning, my first brew is going to be a Belgian Wit, should I use them on this as the beer should be cloudy, or is it just that it clears some of the larger proteins out but will leave the cloudiness in?
Also there are no instructions with it is it one tablet for 20 litres or half a tablet as I've seen mentioned somewhere?
Sorry for all the questions!

I use about one third of a tablet to a 25-ish litre brew, added 15 mins before the end of the boil.

Idol it know the answer either but if you don't get a response drop Pittsy a PM, he brews wheats all the time.

I believe pittsy doesn't use protofloc/irish moss/whirfloc with wheats. I remember asking him and he said no. I haven't in either in the three that I've done. They've been fine.

Pittsy may explain the reasons better :thumb:

I must admit I can't see why you would use one in a wheat beer. After all, clarity is not something you would be after.

I would've said yes as, correct me if I'm wrong, protofloc is to aid the coagulation of proteins. Whereas a wheat beer is cloudy due to either yeast not settling out or being intentionally mixed back into the beer when serving.

Latest posts

Back